Useful Applications

Reaction score
Why is Onyx so difficult for you? Just click on the "Maintenance" tab, and run the 3 routines there (Permissions, Scripts, and Rebuilding). Then. click on the "Cleaning" tab. Do not run the Erase one. If you have an HDD, it's OK to run the Trash feature. The other 6 routines (System, User, Internet, Fonts, Logs, and Misc.) work fine.

If you decide to use Onyx, make sure you get the version form their site (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html) for the Mac OS you are using.

Reaction score
Finally found a tool efficient enough to create a mirror of my arriving mails on an EHD, apart from the system itself. It justified its cost the last time when frequent power fluctuations crashed the hard disk of my MAC. the hard disk comprised around my 4gb really crucial mails.
Thanks to the Mail Backup tool, I have recovered all my mails with much ease.

Reaction score
Another...this is for backing up your system. Again it is free, you just have to give Lacie your name and email addy to be taken to the download page.

http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/
Is that old chestnut still around??? Just kidding, but I thought it would be long gone by now. I used it back in the mid-1990s when I bought my first 1 GB hard drive (and boy, was I the envy of the neighborhood!). Makes me wonder just how few years it will likely be when we begin seeing 1 petabyte storage devices becoming common -- and affordable.

Reaction score
Have you ever wanted to play Acestream link and struggled with all the installs you have to do, you have !,
Hear a prog that plays it on you Mac without all that hassle, it's call "Soda Player" and its FREE
Stream BitTorrent videos instantly
Integrated blazing fast SOCKS5 proxy
Watch on your Chromecast and Apple TV
Automatically get matching subtitles in your language
Support for all formats and codecs

it also works on Windows.

Reaction score
A thread on X11 would be extremely helpful Ric:)

Here is another little app called VLC media player which plays more than the standard Quicktime - although you do need Quicktime installed to use this :)

Again it is totally FREE and worth a look if you struggle playing certain media files because of plugin issues :)
I've had VLC on my Macs for a few years, and it has been dandy for playing videos that QuickTime won't touch. However, the interface and level of control is horrible.

I haven't had occasion to mess with it for a long time, but I wish it had a way of exporting files to .mp4 or even .mov format. But whaddaya gonna do? It's free, after all.

Reaction score
Here are two of my favorite video editing apps.

Hitfilm - Free video editing software for Mac and Windows. It has two main functions. You can line clips up along a time line (editing) and/or you can layer videos on top of each other (compositing). They also offer a professional version of Hitfilm ($200-300) that has many more features. I've been using the free version for years now, and it does everything I need and more. They have a very helpful forum.

CrazyTalk - This fun software allows you to animate photos of faces in an endless number of ways. You can also make your characters speak, by typing in text, or importing an audio file. Currently selling for $99, but you can likely get it cheaper if you get on their mailing list and wait for a sale. They have a free trial version so you can test before purchase. Many quality video tutorials on YouTube.

These two programs together can be very useful. Here's an example use to illustrate.

You could for example, animate a photo of former President Dumpster in CrazyTalk, and have him say all kinds of ridiculous things, though it may be hard to think of anything more ridiculous than what he actually says. Then, using Hitfilm you could layer your talking head of President Dumpster on to a video of a pig so as to replace the real head of the pig with President Dumpster's talking head.

Or, if you're more mature than I am, you could use these products to do actual useful things. I've heard that can happen.

Ask a Question