Useful Applications

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread of useful applications for the Mac which can benefit all users. :)

My first recommendation is OnyX. OnyX is a maintenance, optimization, and personalization utility for Mac OS X (PowerPC and Intel). It also makes it possible to configure certain hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, and Safari, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome, preview the different logs and CrashReporter reports, and more.

In addition to all the above, OnyX is totally Freeware, you may copy and distribute it at will and use it for as long a time as you want!

Download English Version

Download in other languages

Please add to this thread as you will, the more useful programs we can share, the better!

Ric

Reaction score
This is a tricky one...so I decided to try and think which Application/Utility I use on a daily basis...

So the first one I'll start with is Snapz Pro X or Snapz as it's affectionately known.

It's a nice Utility to enable you to do Screen Grabs and also to record the screen...

Such as this....

It's not free , but for any one who wants to record the screen it's invaluable.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I will take a look at that Ric, thankyou. :)

Another piece of invaluable software if you like to play your tunes while you work is Your control: Tunes for your itunes.

You Control: Tunes is unobrusive and sits at the top taskbar. You can launch itunes quickly, or just play at track within a second. You can change how the controls look, and also this app will show you overlays of what is playing.

Even better, it is totally FREE. This application is well worth trying - it is so easy to use and time saving.

You can download and read more HERE.

Ric

Reaction score
Here's another...

X11

It's not installed as a default, when Tiger is installed but you can pop your Tiger disk in and do a custom install...

Once you have X11 installed you are able to download and install thousands of open source (free !) pieces of software, such as OpenOffice, Ethereal to name but two...

...so as not to hijack this thread I shall start a new one about X11, from install to using and beyond !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
A thread on X11 would be extremely helpful Ric:)

Here is another little app called VLC media player which plays more than the standard Quicktime - although you do need Quicktime installed to use this :)

Again it is totally FREE and worth a look if you struggle playing certain media files because of plugin issues :)

Reaction score
I have to post this!

Do you like working with more than one dock?

Then try Dockyard Manager

Dockyard Manager is a fully-fledged dock editor. Not only can you create, rename, reorder, and delete docks, but you can also add, remove, and reorder the individual items in them. Finally, you can change docks straight from the current Dock by accessing Dockyard Manager's dock menu. Again this is totally free!

D

dick

Hi,

I like iSay which can be found at http://www.scriptsoftware.com/isay/.
It let's my mother send voice emails to my cousins who get a big kick out of the fact that the ol' girl (age 87) is using the net! AND she brags to her little o' lady friends about it. :)

dick

Reaction score
How many of you own an Xbox 360? Well for us Mac users, it sucks not being able to share our media between our Xbox 360 and Mac because we don't have Windows Media Center Edition. Well that has changed. Check out http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/connect360 This will allow you to share your iPhoto library and iTunes library from your Mac to your 360. I have used this for a few weeks now and I am impressed. It costs $15 USD. The Demo is unlimited but can only share 100 songs and 100 photos. Check it out and enjoy!

Ric

Reaction score
This is a good one...

Disk Inventory X

See what's taking up space 'graphically' on your drive !

It can take a while to catalogue it, but once it's done it looks very good !

One of my drives...

disk-inventory-x-001.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
All those of you that want to rip a dvd for any purpose a small app called

"Handbrake" http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I found very usefull. It is not qdick though I tend to find it takes about an hour and a half to rip 2.5 hours of recorder TV
icon7.gif

Reaction score
Another great app is AppZapper.

http://www.appzapper.com/

Just drap any app from the application window in finder and it will delete all the files associated with that app. (com.apple.x, the app itself, folders, whatever). There are protections intergraded into it. You can't delete any software that came with your mac. $12.95

Reaction score
Not exactly a utility, but, if you like Pacman, there is no better free Pacman game than Pac The Man X which has different games, and 25 levels on each.

It also has a level editor and a "Master level" that puts you in darkness. :D

Reaction score
Thought I had already posted this!

Totally free backup utility that is also in universal format. Not only does it back your files/folders, but it also backs your settings if you want it to.

Click here for iBackup utility

Reaction score
Another free and handy utility is WhatSize by Id-design

"WhatSize is a simple tool that allows the user to quickly measure the size in bytes of a given folder and all subfolders and files within it. You would be surprised at how many useless files might be laying around on your hard disks. The files and folders are automatically sorted by size, with the biggest sizes first......."

Ask a Question