Finding applications

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
Some of the notifications I get for applications that need to be upgraded to 64-bit are applications that are unfamiliar to me, and which I can't find in my applications folder.

I also can see a bunch of unfamiliar applications looking in About This Mac/System Report/Software/Applications.

And when I decide to open an .mp3 file, I see options to open Quicktime Player, Quicktime Player 7, and Quicktime Player - Microsoft Windows XP.app (VMware Fusion 8.5.6). — I haven't had Fusion on my iMac for over a year.

Where are those other applications? Why does my iMac think I have applications on Windows which I don't have? How do I find out about all of those unknown applications to know whether I can or should safely remove them?

A

Advertising

honestone

Reaction score
When you have upgraded the Mac OS, have you done upgrades "in place", ie, basically just let the new OS overwrite the older one? If that's the case, then there would be applications that are not "replaced" by the new OS which remain on your machine.

If you did any kind of restore from your backup, that could be another reason why you are seeing that VMware Fusion app.

Also, each new version of the Mac OS installs some newer Apple programs (along of course with "replacing" prior versions of other Apple programs, like Quicktime Player, Preview, Text Edit, etc.). I have never used Garage Band, but it is on both of my machines. You do need to be careful when removing "core" applications, like Apple Mail, Safari, etc. Those are also two which I do not use, but they are on both of my Macs.

If you want to completely get rid of an application, there is an excellent program called AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Make sure you get the correct version for the Mac OS you are running. It does an excellent job of finding most (if not all) files, folders, etc. associated with an application you want to remove (along of course with the application itself). When that is done, there could still be a few files remaining that are associated with that application. You can do a search for those remaining files, using the app's name. Spotlight is OK (again, another app I do not use), but I prefer another excellent free program called EasyFind, available from here:

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

It is less of a resource hog than Spotlight is, and does as good a job (maybe better) at finding things.

Again, though, be careful about removing "core" applications. It would be good if there was a list of such applications.

Last edited:
A

Advertising

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
I have phantom applications that I can't drop in an app cleaner, because they don't really exist. OSX *thinks* they exist, and they show up when finder gives options to apps to open files. And other applications *may* exist somewhere and Mac warns me about them – but I can't find them to be able to delete them if I choose!

honestone

Reaction score
First, I'lll again ask the question: how did you upgrade to the version of the Mac OS that you are now using? And what version is it?

Secondly, how dd you try to find such applications? With EasyFind, you should just be able to put the application name in the Search "area", and it will find all files that have that search "name" as part of its name. Some examples you could try (from your original post):

Quicktime Player - Microsoft
VMware

By the way, if you removed VMware Fusion, how did you do that?

Third, I have been recommending Onyx forever, and from the link that Lufbarunner provided, I am of course pleased that it is included as one of the ways to rebuild the Launch Services database. Here is a link where you can get Onyx:

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Make sure you get the correct version that corresponds to the version of the Mac OS you are running.

I am using the latest version of Mojave, OS 10.14.3, on both of my Macs, and thus I am using V3.5.7 of Onyx. When I click on that Maintenance tab, here is what I get:

Note that the rebuilding of the Launch Services database is already checked, under "Rebuilding". I also do not uncheck anything else, and simply click on "Run tasks". I run Onyx once a week as part of my disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks (along with Tech Tool Pro), and I would not be without it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
>First, I'lll again ask the question: how did you upgrade to the version of the Mac OS that you are now using? And >what version is it?

I always let my Mac upgrade itself. I'm using 10.14.3

> Secondly, how dd you try to find such applications? With EasyFind, you should just be able to put the application > name in the Search "area", and it will find all files that have that search "name" as part of its name. Some
> examples you could try (from your original post):

I used a program called "Find Any File", after I couldn't find it in Spotlight and by looking in applications. I don't remember the name of the program that I didn't recognize.

> Quicktime Player - Microsoft
> VMware

Running the recommended cleaner got rid of that option.

> By the way, if you removed VMware Fusion, how did you do that?

Probably used "trash me", but maybe I just deleted it.

> Third, I have been recommending Onyx forever, and from the link that Lufbarunner provided, I am of course > pleased that it is included as one of the ways to rebuild the Launch Services database. Here is a link where you > can get Onyx:

> https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

> Make sure you get the correct version that corresponds to the version of the Mac OS you are running.

I'm going to babysit 2 new nieces for a week starting today and won't get back to my computer.

honestone

Reaction score
How long has it been since you did a clean installation of a Mac OS? There comes a point where "just letting the machine upgrade itself" starts to cause issues.

Additionally, how do insure third party programs (ie, non-Apple) compatibility with each new Mac OS?

It looks like "Find Any File" is a decent program, but EasyFind is free.

Also, what do you mean by "Running the recommended cleaner got rid of that option."? That does not make much sense at all.

And using something like "Trash Me" (there is similar one called "Trash It!") does not delete all the files/folders, etc. associated with an application one is removing.

Finally, you really need to follow through and get Onyx. An excellent product.

But, if you don't want to do anything, what can one say?

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
> How long has it been since you did a clean installation of a Mac OS?

My iMac is late 2013, so I guess if "clean installation" means restoring from Time Machine on a new machine, that's when I last did it.

> There comes a point where "just letting the machine upgrade itself" starts to cause issues.

If "clean installation" means restoring from Time Machine, I could try formatting my Mac when I get back from my brothers in a week. I'll look it up to see what kind of risks are involved.

> It looks like "Find Any File" is a decent program, but EasyFind is free.
I've got both.

> Also, what do you mean by "Running the recommended cleaner got rid of that option."?

The one you recommended, "AppCleaner".

>That does not make much sense at all.

Sorry.

> And using something like "Trash Me" (there is similar one called "Trash It!") does not delete all the files/folders, > etc. associated with an application one is removing.

I knew that deleting it using the finder didn't do that. And Apple doesn't clean up (Now that I can no longer put my iPad and iPhone apps in iTunes, the apps I used to have there are still on my iMac.)

> Finally, you really need to follow through and get Onyx. An excellent product.

I'll look at that when I get back.

> But, if you don't want to do anything, what can one say?

If I didn't want to do anything, I wouldn't be asking for advice on what to do.

honestone

Reaction score
> How long has it been since you did a clean installation of a Mac OS?

My iMac is late 2013, so I guess if "clean installation" means restoring from Time Machine on a new machine, that's when I last did it.
That's 6 years ago! There have been at least 4 or 5 versions of the Mac OS since then. Sounds like you are asking for trouble.

> There comes a point where "just letting the machine upgrade itself" starts to cause issues.

If "clean installation" means restoring from Time Machine, I could try formatting my Mac when I get back from my brothers in a week. I'll look it up to see what kind of risks are involved.
Most likely, there could be "problematic" items on your backups, especially if you do little (if any) disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs.

> It looks like "Find Any File" is a decent program, but EasyFind is free.
I've got both.
I've had many successes with EasyFind.

> Also, what do you mean by "Running the recommended cleaner got rid of that option."?

The one you recommended, "AppCleaner".
There have been numerous times where I initially used AppCleaner for removing an application (and all the "pieces" AppCleaner finds), and then I use EasyFind and find some more "pieces" that I can remove.

> And using something like "Trash Me" (there is similar one called "Trash It!") does not delete all the files/folders, > etc. associated with an application one is removing.

I knew that deleting it using the finder didn't do that. And Apple doesn't clean up (Now that I can no longer put my iPad and iPhone apps in iTunes, the apps I used to have there are still on my iMac.)
That's exactly why it is wise to use AppCleaner and EasyFind.

> Finally, you really need to follow through and get Onyx. An excellent product.

I'll look at that when I get back.
That would be a wise move. Also, you would be smart to use Onyx as one of the tools for disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs.

> But, if you don't want to do anything, what can one say?

If I didn't want to do anything, I wouldn't be asking for advice on what to do.
But you have an odd way of showing any kind of appreciation when assistance is given. And this is not the first time. It can take a lot of time and effort to provide accurate, detailed assistance.

Last edited:

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
I really do appreciate the help. I know I'm not an effective communicator, but I do re-read my posts and edit them, hoping to improve on it. I'm better in fields where I know more, but nobody has questions about COBOL!!!!!

honestone

Reaction score
I really do appreciate the help. I know I'm not an effective communicator, but I do re-read my posts and edit them, hoping to improve on it. I'm better in fields where I know more, but nobody has questions about COBOL!!!!!
Hey, I used to be a COBOL programmer, and I definitely took advantage of the "Year 2000 Crisis" (from a financial perspective).

However, I can still communicate my appreciation in an effective manner.

Howard Brazee

Reaction score
Good times for Cobol programmers!! In a few minutes I will be shutting down my iMac for a week as I go to Las Vegas to take care of some new-born nieces (my brother is learning how to be a father - he will have his 62nd birthday while we are there!)

honestone

Reaction score
Good times for Cobol programmers!! In a few minutes I will be shutting down my iMac for a week as I go to Las Vegas to take care of some new-born nieces (my brother is learning how to be a father - he will have his 62nd birthday while we are there!)
Maybe try and win some money?

A

Advertising

Ask a Question