Opinion on BitDefender - good, safe, useful?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Bitdefender is also an antivirus, which isn't really needed on Mac. It may slow your Mac down, as it runs in the background and scans files as you use and open them. You can still use it, but it is best to turn off any of its real-time scanning and run it manually when you want to check for viruses. Malwarebytes is the best anti-malware app around, plus, it only runs when you launch it.

My normal recommendation for those who really want virus protection is ClamXav.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Bitdefender is also an antivirus, which isn't really needed on Mac. It may slow your Mac down, as it runs in the background and scans files as you use and open them. You can still use it, but it is best to turn off any of its real-time scanning and run it manually when you want to check for viruses. Malwarebytes is the best anti-malware app around, plus, it only runs when you launch it.

My normal recommendation for those who really want virus protection is ClamXav.

C

Hello! :)

I was under impression the version in App Shop actually only is a scanner. And I was interested if I should also install Bitdefender as extra manual scanner to sometimes use it with Malwarebytes. Or is that overkill?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It's really up to you. I do not run any antivirus on any of my Macs. I do run Malwarebytes every now and then as a preventative.

C

Ask a Question