Useful Applications

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AppTrap is a System Preference Pane and when you drag an app to the Trash a window pops up showing you associated files and gives you the option to delete all or some of them. For example, if you had created a file using that recently downloaded app that you now wish to Trash, you can deselect it in the pop up window, then click OK to delete the App & all the other associated files.

Reaction score
Here's an app that I truly miss as a result of switching to an Intel Mac. It's called QuickImageCM and it's a Contextual menu plugin for MacOS X that displays graphic image files without launching an application. It also has some other features like adding/removing thumbnail icons, copying images to the clipboard, moving to trash, enlarging/reducing/rotating and converting picture files. This one is free as well!
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19253

karazelle

Reaction score
Storing YouTube clips?

Probably not what you expected to hear, but RealPlayer for OSX is a league apart from its Windows version.
It doesn't have spyware and it comes with a simple easy to use YouTube downloader tool called RealPlayer downloader. I know there are sites that does this, but the real player downloader just lists your clips as you see them and with a simple click of a button, stores the file permanently. Convenient.

www.real.com

Reaction score
This is REALLY cool http://www.cooliris.com/

You need Firefox to install, but you will not regret it - only issue is sites need to be compatible with it, but there are plenty!

Ric, once installed, I typed mac-help.com in the search box of cooliris and your flickr piccies came up! (Flickr is compatible but mac-help not)

If you are interested in getting your site compatible you just need to click below:

http://developer.cooliris.com/

It really is VERY cool!

Reaction score
Don't have the hyperlink, but google 'Audacity'. It's an ausome sound recorder and editor and easy to use.

Reaction score
Yeah, thank you very much for sharing these useful information, a useful thread. Well, coming into useful applications for Mac, Amac Keylogger is another one useful application too. It is a kind of great and powerful monitoring program for Mac OS X, which also can be used as parental control software.

Reaction score
I currently use IceClean as a weekly system cleanup tool for the iMac. I'm not having any problems. I just want to know if IceClean is doing the job or is there something better. I'm a recent Apple convert with very little Mac OS X experience.

Reaction score
I am a new mac switcher and I guess this is the best thread for me to get started. Well, I like the Libreoffice most. Just prefect for me.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Here is a little free app that lets you create your own personal folder icons, the pro version has many more features but the free one is fine if you would like to personalise your folders.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18369/img2icns
And a little example

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 11.12.25.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 11.12.25.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 534
Reaction score
Hello Oldscribe,
Here's a couple more that you might want to check out. Viou and FolderBrander

Attachments

• FolderBrander.jpg
    FolderBrander.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 495
  • Viou.jpg
    Viou.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 484
Reaction score
Hi Walrus666,

Thanks for the hint looking at Viou now think it would suite my good lady, seems very easy to use.:)

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is a great software package called Printopia, for all those who do not have a WiFi printer, and would like to print from there iPhones or iPads.
Only needs to be installed on your Mac not any other device, and works seamlessly as long as you make sure it is always updated, I have found no issues at all.
It does a lot more than just print, you can send docs, photos etc directly to your mac > preview > iPhoto > Dropbox folder ETC:D
There is a trial version here and at a small cost upgradable for life to full version
http://ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

Reaction score
Hi,

Just found a great iPad and iPhone image enhancer called Photoshop Express, it's free in the App Store and great fun.

Reaction score
My work involves taking plenty of screenshots and for that I just downloaded & installed DUCK CAPTURE.

Reaction score
Command-Shift 3, Command-Shift 4, and Grab, annotated in Preview are all right there in Finder.

Reaction score
Regarding memory "clean up", I use RAM Optimizer, and it also does a good job in terms of re-claiming memory.

While iSpeedup looks like a good product, another excellent free one is Onyx. One can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

It has been around for a number of years, and has always had stellar reviews. I can attest to its' effectiveness, as I have been using it for a number of years. In fact, I cannot live without it! And, when a new version of the Mac OS comes out (I mean a "jump" of say from Mavericks (OS 10.9.5) to Yosemite (10.10.0), I wait to upgrade until Onyx has either been certified to work with the new OS, or an upgrade comes out that supports the new OS.

The other excellent "free" one is SuperDuper!. I have stated numerous times what an excellent product this is for backups, and how quickly one can boot from that backup to recover from a disaster.

Finally, although not free, it is extremely beneficial to have a disk maintenance/repair program beyond Disk Utility. The two "best" ones are Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro. Both of them are very, very useful. Disk Warrior, from what I understand, can do dome things regarding Disk repair that no other product can. TechTool Pro has quite a few more features. In any event, either of them would be good. And, like Onyx, I can attest to both of these programs being stellar! In fact, I make the running of TechTool Pro a part of my disk maintenance/repair (if necessary, but about 99% not needed) and backup processing that I do every Saturday for both of my machines.

Ask a Question