Useful Applications

Reaction score
For those who want a good burning program but do not want to splash the cash for one, try BURN - it is also universal so PPC and intel users alike can use it! Enjoy! :)

Reaction score
Sorry if this one is repeated, but it's a cool app.

It's called WeatherManX. This app can work in OS 9 and OS X. It is a weather forecasting program. It's a great program. It's $10 US.

Reaction score
Apple's screen grabbing program (Applications->Utilities->Grab.app), shortcuts throughout the system (cmd-shift-3 [whole screen], cmd-shift-4 [selection], cmd-shift-4 then space [clicked object]), and functions in Preview (in the File menu) are probably good enough, but here's yet another program for doing the exact same thing: SnapNDrag, with at least one major difference from the Apple-supplied ones, it can grab images off DVD discs. A basic version is free (can do everything the Apple tools can, plus taking images of DVD's and a couple of other features), and if you pay up for the pro version you get functions like resizing, borders and plugging into other tools from the same company for post-processing of the image.

Reaction score
I just have to mention this great application. Many users ask if there is a app for deleting programs off the Mac, and usually, the answer is AppZapper, which is a good application, but you need to purchase it.

A good free alternative that I have been using, is called AppDelete, which is entirely free and very easy to use.

It works like the trash bin, and you just drag and drop anything you want to delete on Appdelete's bin, and it will find all relevant files for that application and delete them for you.

Reaction score
To all the coders out there that don't yet have a favourite editor... no, all coders, including those that already have sworn their life to their editor of choice... I recommend trying Smultron, not only does it have the just-about mandatory syntax colouring for a huge load of languages, but also too many other useful features to list here while still having a simple, uncluttered interface (I so wish this program was available for Windows, as I have to use that platform once in a while).

Reaction score
Backdrop

Backdrop is a simple utility to fill your screen with a white window. This is useful for taking screenshots without having to clean up your desktop.

Another one that can also help with taking background photos is menu shade Menushade is pretty cool, it will hide your desktop menu so you can have a completely black desktop with backdrop and menu shade.

Reaction score
I know this is not really an application as such, but if you travel a lot, this gives you free up to date road traffic reports, and you can also connect wirelessly such as via mobile phone to get the reports:

http://www.frixo.com/

Ask a Question