Useful Applications

Reaction score
Hello Oldscribe,
Here's a couple more that you might want to check out. Viou and FolderBrander

I am a relatively new convert from the PC world. I loved the hierarchical filing system on the PC. On the Mac I have not found a way to implement this kind of system. Is there a way to do it or an App that will? Thanks!

Reaction score
I am totally new to the Mac world (even though I have 2 G5 Mac Minis, a Mac G5 tower-“the beast”, and a G3 eMac Grape). They all work, but I can’t find any real use for them. My wife got me a 21.5” iMac with El Capitan (OS X 10.11.2) for Christmas, and I want to drop Windoze for good, but cannot find enough software to replace what I use every day.

I have a LONG list, but I won’t post it here unless asked (I’m sure this is not a chat room). I’ve found (and download) several great finds from here, thanks.

I’m gonna keep looking and watching this forum. Thanks for the good work.

Reaction score
A VPN App is also mandatory for Mac these days sadly due to increasing hacking attempts in Mac OS X

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread of useful applications for the Mac which can benefit all users. :)

My first recommendation is OnyX. OnyX is a maintenance, optimization, and personalization utility for Mac OS X (PowerPC and Intel). It also makes it possible to configure certain hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, and Safari, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome, preview the different logs and CrashReporter reports, and more.

In addition to all the above, OnyX is totally Freeware, you may copy and distribute it at will and use it for as long a time as you want!

Download English Version

Download in other languages

Please add to this thread as you will, the more useful programs we can share, the better!

Thanks, I need to try!

Reaction score
Yes, Onyx is an excellent application that I have been using for a number of years. In fact, I will not upgrade the Mac OS until Onyx (and 4 other critical apps) have either been "certified" to be compatible with the new OS, or have upgrades available. With the upcoming change of the Apple File system (via Sierra), it will be interesting to see how apps such as Onyx, TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, Coctail, etc. need to be modified. Fortunately, that "change" will not be happening until sometime "early" next year.

The other apps I recommend are either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner for backups, and 1Password for storing passwords. Though not free (but not expensive: SuperDuper! costs $27.95, and Carbon Copy Cloner costs $39.95), they make bootable backups, and hence make recovery from a "disaster" simple and effective. While Time Machine is OK for backups, such backups are not bootable.

1Password is another venerable, excellent product, and it serves as a repository for passwords. Although not free (it looks like the pricing has changed somewhat: https://1password.com/sign-up/. I just paid $39.95 a couple of years ago), I would not be without it! There is, though, a "decent" free product called Dashlane that looks good. Here is the link for it:

https://www.dashlane.com/en/lp/neve...ager for mac&gclid=COGw-Z6BxM4CFUVhfgodZOIDww

Reaction score
Interesting and useful link. Two other excellent programs are the venerable VLC, and the always excellent program Onyx. With VLC, of course, one can view just about any video file, in any format. And Onyx has quite a few useful disk cleanup features. In fact, it is part of my "arsenal" of disk cleaning/maintenance/repair programs/practices. And whenever a new Mac OS is et to arrive, it is one of my 6 programs that must have the update available for the new OS before I upgrade.

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread, now I use some the apps listed, Dockyard Manager is cool. I'd like to recommend some apps to clean and optimize mac. I recently used Mackeeper and it helped to clean my mac in a few minutes what is great but it's enough expensive I think and tried MacFly Pro. Has similar features but is quite cheaper. Also, you can try Movavi.

Reaction score
Mackeeper is bad, and you need to get rid of it (and all its "pieces") as soon as possible. The freeware program Onyx can perform some disk cleanup, and either Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior are excellent choices for more disk cleanup, disk maintenance, and disk repairs. I have Onyx and Tech Tool Pro, and I would not be without them!

Reaction score
In my 22 years of using Macs I have never come accross a more destuctive programme as Mac`Keeper. I don't know how it keeps getting good write ups. I know of noone thats thinks it has any benificial worth for anything over 1 week

Reaction score
In my 22 years of using Macs I have never come accross a more destuctive programme as Mac`Keeper. I don't know how it keeps getting good write ups. I know of noone thats thinks it has any benificial worth for anything over 1 week

Well stated! This piece of "crap" software is still "making the rounds", so to speak, and some folks still use it! It is even advertised on www.yahoo.com.

Reaction score
Mackeeper is bad, and you need to get rid of it (and all its "pieces") as soon as possible. The freeware program Onyx can perform some disk cleanup, and either Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior are excellent choices for more disk cleanup, disk maintenance, and disk repairs. I have Onyx and Tech Tool Pro, and I would not be without them!
Thanks. I will be careful with Mackeeper. I tried OnyX but the interface is terrible for me. I bought MacFly Pro license for a month. Will see. Yet it's worth its money.

Ask a Question