answer.com widgets -- good or not usefull?

Reaction score
I just fell across answers.com the site, never been there before, they seem interesting... but not necessarily novel.

They have a widget - which would be fun to try, if it isn't a system killer, versiontracker doesn't seem to have it - as I was looking for a rating and reviews.

Any thoughts, any experiences?

I've been very slow, or cautious about loading widgets, as my system doesn't run so smoothly already - do widgets cause upsets or slow the cpu much?

appreciate your thoughts/experiences

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

The Answers.com widget seems harmless...as MOST widgets are. I have been running it since June without any problems.

The only time widgets use CPU time is when Dashboard is activated and they are loaded. When they are in the background and Dashboard isn't on the screen, very few will use any processor time.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

As Cory says they use a minimum amount of the CPU, if any at all.

If you want to check what they are using...

go to Applications-->Utilities-->Activity Monitor

As you can see from the first picture, this shows how much of the CPU the answer.com widget uses...

ActivityMonitor001.jpg

Then in the second picture when the Dashboard 'has been put away' it drops back to zero...

ActivityMonitor002.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question