The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)

Reaction score
Hi all this is driving me nuts... I have 2 drives in my mac one system drive and one data drive that i also happen to have Google Drive synced to. Since forever i have had this annoying error come up but recently it has become more frequent to the point where it is a daily issue. I get the error each time i try to delete, move or add a file onto the data drive, no matter where. I think its a permissions error as i can pull the drive out, slave it via a sata to usb converter, and make changes/ delete files that way without issue. Sometimes files are moved to the trash bin but i can't empty it, the error shows instead, so i have to slave and delete.

I have done every check that can be done on a drive with Apples own disk utility (which subsequently doesn't work unless i slave the drive via the sata/usb converter mentioned previously... trying the First Aid option the normal way in Disk Utility results in an "Unable to mount drive error") and 3rd party tools such as DriveDx but theres none find any critical issue or signs of damage. DriveDX does show some warning sign but i just can't imagine the drive is failing as is not very old.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i'd be very grateful. I want to avoid having to buy yet another drive, if i don't have to. But this is my work computer so I will resolve one way or another.

Many thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 17.52.41.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 17.52.41.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 357

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

***NOTE: As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of all of your data before following any trouble shooting suggestions here.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are the drives listed in your screenshot partitions of your internal drive, external drives, or a combination?
-I assume you are referring to the errors on OSX-DATA and UPLAY drives?

If the data drive isn't a startup drive, it could definitely be a permissions issue. If OSX-DATA is the drive in question, and you startup from the OSX drive, you could try the following:

-Right-click on the OSX-DATA icon on your Desktop and choose Get Info
-In the Get Info window, in the Sharing & Permissions section, click the disclosure triangle
-Click the lock in the lower right corner and enter your password
-Check the box to the left of Ignore ownership on this volume
-Unmount and mount the OSX-DATA volume/partition

That should clear any permissions issues with reading/writing to that disk/partition.

Let us know if that helps the situation,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, sorry fro delay i was away on business.

In the end i bought a new drive as i found CRC errors when testing with DriveDX. I had already checked the ignore ownership checkbox and it didn't resolve the issue. Anyway all seems to be working now. Thanks!

Ask a Question