Operation Cannot be completed because "file.mov" is in use. Please help!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to these forums but have an issue that's been driving me crazy. I'm trying to copy gigs of files between LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB mac drives (fw 800, esata, usb3). They seem to work fine on their own, but when I try to copy files, half the time it'll start copying, get more than halfway through and then this comes up (attachment 1183) I don't understand it! There is NO other program running. I even went into terminal and used the "losf | gerp" command to figure out where this file is being used, and it just comes up saying the harddrives are using it (no kidding) so I have no idea what to do. I've already tried reformatting, doesn't seem to correct it. If I leave a file transfer overnight, I come back, and it's useless because it doesn't transfer it. Then, when I try to delete the unfinished files I get the second picture (attachment 1184) Then when I try to eject the drive, it says it might be in use and I need to force quit it. Again, it's not being accessed by any other program I'm aware of. I'll then start the process over again and then it'll work, or it'll crash on another file... it's random and only happens sometimes. Has anyone seen this before? I really need some guidance here.

Thanks a lot for your time,

James

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 7.04.jpeg
Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 7.05.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply!

It's not a particular file that is corrupted, it seems to happen at random to random files using their drives. I try again, and it copies. It's just so frustrating because it is preventing me from making large transfers, either over several hours or overnight, then I have to start all over again. I just don't understand why there is a hiccup, and if it's from the OS side or it's a hardware issue.

Reaction score
Switch to FireWire if you are using USB. If you are using FireWire then its the drive controller probably overheating and shutting down.

Reaction score
Ahh, the good old -50 error!

First thing is to ensure that the drives have been reformatted in the Mac's native format, rather than being in FAT format. The only reason for using FAT format is if you're needing to connect the drive to both Macs and Windows. If you really, really need to do move files between Macs and Windows, we'll have to think up a work-around for you, but I'm not going to think about that now...

Use Disk Utility from your Utilities folder to reformat the drives... yes, this will erase them, so you'll have to do some juggling with your files...

Chances are, if both drives are in OSX Extended format, your problem will just go away. If that doesn't fix it, we have to delve deeper

Reaction score
Hi,

My brother had issues with LaCie last year, he resolved the issue by minimising transfers to 800 MB files at a time. Was an extremely slow porches so now only uses WD.

Ask a Question