The Operation Can't Be Completed... The Original Item...

Reaction score
Have had the Mac almost 2 years - the Win 7, then 8.1 box would never talk to the Mac, that's OK, but the Mac would talk to the Win box. Installed Win 10 recently on the Win box. Any attempts at a network connection from the Mac gets the error "The operation can't be completed because the original item for (any Win directory) can't be found." The first occurrence of this problem took a couple of days for me to find that Win 10 had renamed it's box to my surname as opposed to the box name I have used for many years. Renamed it (can't remember where!) and all was well... until a couple of days ago when it started again. The Mac sees the HP, sees all the directories but throws the error on any attempts to connect. The Win box sees the Mac, but as always won't connect.
The Mac has started listing the available Win directories as xxx, xxx2, xxx3 - all are unreachable. How do I reset the Mac's network settings let it refresh itself or some other means to let it find the other box. Really need to connect to the Win box as it has 5TB of stuff and storage......

Thanx for any help

Ski

IMac 27" Late 2013
3.2G I5 16G memory
OSX latest version

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It can be a pain to get this to work sometimes, mainly due to the Windows side.

-Are you using Connect to Server... from the Go menu? If so, try Clear Recent Servers... by click the button beside the + button and selecting it from the drop-down that appears.
-Does a restart of both computers help?

Read this article, it may help: How to share Windows 10 Tech Preview files with Mac OS X Yosemite. It should apply to the current shipping version of Windows 10.

C

Reaction score
Cory - You're a gentleman & a scholar.... I tried your suggestion, only in reverse. There were no connected serves, so I connected to the one offered on the '+' sign. Selected half a dozen directories or so and.... Presto... Connections! There is great joy in Muddville - until Windows screws it up again somehow. I say Windows because for 2 years I haven't touched the Mac's settings, just M$ Windows.

Thanx again!!

Ski

Ask a Question