Unwanted volume in empty folder

Reaction score
When I delete the contents of the sub-folders in a desktop folder, why is there still a volume showing in the 'size' column (less than originally, but substantial)? Volume is indicated in 'Get Info'. I have emptied trash & re-booted several times. Are there hidden files? MacPro 2 x 3 GHz Dual-core Intel Xeon, OS 10.6.7

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Which folder are you referring to? What are the contents exactly?

Can you upload a screen shot so it's clearer to understand exactly what help we can offer?

Reaction score
You maybe talking about a shortcut to your harddrive? And yes it will be a sizeable volume as it has your system on it.
To remove this from your desktop:
Finder > Preferences > General > Uncheck Hard Disks, External Disks, Connected Servers.

Reaction score
Thanks,
Showing the hidden files revealed that hidden Adobe Bridge Cache files are being left behind.
Do you know of a way to delete the hidden files along with the visible files, other than going through the Terminal each time to reveal the hidden files?

Reaction score
Adobe Bridge
is a nightmare, be very carful you can do a lot of damage with that app.

No, when something like that craps through your folder structure, terminal is the only good way to deal with it. GIMP also does this.

there are some utilities out there that allow you to show hidden files, but be careful what you delete as there can be system stuff hidden for a good reason. DS Store for instance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I use WhatSize to tell me how large files are on my Mac. This app shows every file, hidden or showing. So there's no need to remember Terminal code ... WhatSize also has a delete option ...

I discovered I had a hidden iDVD project sitting on my Desktop weighing in at 8GB ... I couldn't for the life of me figure out how this file had become hidden??

I was more than happy to reclaim that HD space along with a whole lot of other hidden user files.

Yes, and no deleting before you check exactly what this file is ... as mentioned, deleting System Files is a big NO-NO.

Ask a Question