Unwanted daily alarm

Reaction score
OS X 10.13.6: My 2011 27" iMac is suddenly producing and alarm sound every evening at 9:05 that seems unstoppable. It stops by itself after a while. How do I discover what's producing it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be a couple of things - you have installed an alarm clock application, or there is a repeating calendar event every day with an alert set.

Check your Applications folder for an alarm clock application. And, check your calendar for a repeating daily event.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
I have an iOS Alarm on my iPhone 6s+, but none on the iMac. I don't have any repeating daily events on either Calendar.app or BusyCal.App

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Do you get a notification on your screen when the alarm goes off?

C

Reaction score
No, just the sound. 3 beeps, pause, 3 beeps, for 5 seconds then repeat. Finally get insistent. Goes away about an hour later. Not responsive to volume control or mute.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...that's not something I have heard of.

That pattern, and the fact that volume/mute don't affect it, makes me think of a hardware issue. When you have failing RAM or other logic board issues, you will get a repeating pattern of three beeps.

Does it sound like the beeps in this video at the 1:25 mark:

C

Reaction score
No, much higher pitch and much faster pace. I own TechTool Pro 9 but it doesn't show any way to examine that kind of thing.

I don't see anything in Crontab or agents in Lingon.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, good that it's not that. ;)

Will have to think on it for a while...not sure what else it could be.

Will get back to you,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
A couple more things to check - look at the  > System Preferences... > Notifications and see if there is anything possibly related there. Also, do you happen to have Microsoft Outlook installed?

C

Reaction score
I've searched through iCloud stuff and don't see anything there either. I don't think it's any kind of hardware warning because it happens a few minutes after 9 PM every night and goes on for an hour. Fortunately it's not very loud (I'm deaf at those high frequencies) and I can continue to work. Thanks for what you've done so far.

I don't have Outlook and don't have any daily notifications. In the preferences of apps that post notifications I've turned off sound.

Reaction score
Let me simplify: where are the places I might look to see if daily alarm is stored in OS X? I don't mind using the Terminal to look at them if necessary.

Reaction score
Thanks -- I've looked at them. None of them say how alerts or alarm times are stored on a Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That's the thing...there aren't any alarms other than what we've discussed that I know of.

You could try looking with the Console app at the logs.

C

Reaction score
Yes, I did, but of course not knowing exactly what to search for makes that tough. Tonight when it goes off I'll be able to look at the bottom of most of them.

Reaction score
I found a Calendar alarm in ~/Library Calendars and set its action to None. Hopefully that's it. I don't use Calendar any more, I use BusyCal

Ask a Question