Unwanted viewer.com on iMAC!!! cannot remove!

Reaction score
Please help! I thought I was updating flash recently when I got a dialogue box that said i needed to update, and instead I got some unwanted software that puts popup ads on everything!!!!

I found advice on how to remove from a PC, but not from a mac. Please help, I am desperate.!!! thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Were you presented with the Flash Update window as seen at this link? What Mac OS X version are you running? (See "About This Mac" under the  in the top left of your screen)

How to Remove WARNING! Your Flash Player may be out of date

Go to Software Update under the  in the top left corner of your screen.

Run it and let it update your Mac if need be. Then restart your Router …

Only ever update your Flash Player from Adobe's web site and never from a pop-up that appears when viewing content on any website.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you for replying.... I am attaching the popup window that came up.. I have been reading on this on the site called "The Safe Mac" and it appears to be adware called Genieo, and that puts extensions on your computer, one of which is called photo.it, jollywallet and something else, dont recall.

I deleted my extensions in Safari, but the adware doesn't go away.

I did just look at what software needed to be updated, and my flashplayer was not listed.... I thought the updater might only work on Adobe software... and didn't realize that flash was an adobe product...so, I never updated it that way before.

I am going to continue reading on this problem on "THE Safe Mac" website tomorrow. It seems to be a very big problem recently in the mac world..... thanks

Attachments

• Genieo-fake-Flash-2.png
    Genieo-fake-Flash-2.png
    79 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
hi there, I am very very confused. I have an adware virus or something.. How do I remove it? What does the router have to do with it? I downloaded the malware by accident when I tried to upgrade through that fake flash site..... NOW, I have something else new, Thunderbolt bridge has now appeared in my Network. I have never seen that before.

Reaction score
Hi,

I deleted my extensions in Safari, but the adware doesn't go away.
Sorry to hear of your issue, but possibly your OS X hosts file has been altered, you could download ClamXav from the app store (its free), install and run to see what it finds. Remember it is manual not real time.

Thunderbolt bridge has now appeared in my Network
It is TCP/IP via thunderbolt, you connect two machines via thunderbolt directly, configure them with two ip addresses for very fast speed.

Have a look here
http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

To delete Genieo manually and only if you feel confidant here is a walk through.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change “My Processes” at the top to “All Processes”, then make sure Genieo is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.
  2. Launch Finder and search for Genieo. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac. Searching “File Name” vs “Contents” usually provides better results.
  3. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
  4. Click the search criteria drop-down and select “Other…”, then “System files”
  5. Click the “don’t include” and change to “include”
  6. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
  7. Delete all files and folders related to the app.
  8. Don’t empty your Trash until you’ve determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
  9. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Oldscribe, thank you very much for your help. I have now got ClamXAV scanning some files that were already in the source list, but just want it to scan the entire computer. do you know if I have to individually drag files into it? I didn't find an answer with a google search.....

ALSO< I did do an uninstall of Genieo which I downloaded directly from Genieo. AND, Have followed the instructions from Thomas on "The Safe Mac" to clean out extensions in browsers and delete undesired files that he had specified....

Is this a router problem now?

ALSO, do you know how to make ClamXav scan your entire hard drive????

NO infected files were found on My "apple" . I dont know what you call this, but its the house icon. thank you, I have been working on this all day. Jennifer

Reaction score
OK, Just dragged harddrive onto ClamXav and its scanning it now. There are also double green lines under words on the web, if you click on them, and ad pops up.... very very annoying.

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had a quick word with friends regarding this issue and AppDelete from here should fully remove all.
http://www.reggieashworth.com

Have never used so know nothing about it, but hope it helps. You can get a trial version.

Reaction score
Thank you old scribe,, I have just sent an email to the software maker to see if they can help me....

Reaction score
Hi,

Please keep us posted on how things go.

As a hint this is how my AF is set up re notifications.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 09.44.18.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 09.44.18.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Reaction score
All internet traffic goes through your Router hence the advice to reboot it. Usually about 30 seconds is enough before turning it back on.
HI, I turned it off, and then on, and that didn't do anything. thnx for the advice... I am ready to do a complete re-install of entire system at this point. Have just about given up. A certified apple tech told me to NUKE AND REPAVE my computer. I am using TIme Machine to back up then need to learn how to reinstall the correct files and new system software, and make sure nothing that I reinstall is infected. I am a bit overwhelmed. thnx again. jennifer

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi jennifer,

Very sorry you encountered this :(and as the tech said a reinstall is possibly your quickest route.

If your running Mavericks then you can use the built in recovery disk and preserve your personal files and settings.:) That's the good news.
Have a look here,

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph13871
Any questions just ask.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
HI, I turned it off, and then on, and that didn't do anything. thnx for the advice...

That's fine, it sometimes does sort things out but of course not always … as oldscribe pointed out just ask away and we'll help you as much as we can with the reinstall.

Ask a Question