Transferring files from Macbook to External harddrive

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the program Senuti to copy and back up files from my Ipod, and i was trying to transfer files from my Mac to my external hardrive, but it wouldnt let me transfer.

I have just tried to transfer from the mac to my Ipod's harddrive (not thru itunes) and that worked fine. The files are all MP3s, which it is odd that it wont allow me to transfer files over.

any ideas anyone?

thanks

seb

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the program Senuti to copy and back up files from my Ipod, and i was trying to transfer files from my Mac to my external hardrive, but it wouldnt let me transfer.

I have just tried to transfer from the mac to my Ipod's harddrive (not thru itunes) and that worked fine. The files are all MP3s, which it is odd that it wont allow me to transfer files over.

any ideas anyone?

thanks

seb
Hi Seb, what happened when you tried copying your files from your Mac to the external hard drive? Did you use an app to do this or simply drag and drop?

Reaction score
hey,

I just did the old drag and drop. and the error messages reads

"error message -36'

which apparently means "

ioErr
I/O error (bummers)
"

i have no idea what that means. I have ben told to re format the external, that having it format by a PC is not a good idea, but i formatted it on my Mac.

i really would prefer not to reformat the thing as i got 160 somethine gigs of **** on there.

and i dont know much either, if that helps

thanks

seb

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
hey, I just did the old drag and drop. and the error messages reads: "error message -36'
which apparently means: I/O error (bummers)
i have no idea what that means. I have ben told to re format the external, that having it format by a PC is not a good idea, but i formatted it on my Mac.
i really would prefer not to reformat the thing as i got 160 somethine gigs of **** on there and i dont know much either, if that helps, thanks seb

From the Apple website:

Type -36 error (I/O Errors (bummers)

This file is having difficulty while either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file may have been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be damaged.
This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored on a different disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from this error.

Here's a link to a thread were a user has the same error appearing when using an Ext HD.

Reaction score
Hi Seb, you're not by any chance running out of space on the external drive, are you?

Ask a Question