Transferring files/applications from old MacBook to new MacBook?

Reaction score
I know this is possible when both macs are working properly but I have a 2007 MacBook pro that has a faulty graphics card and the computer kernel panics everytime I attempt to start it up. Basically, it will not start up at all. Is it at all possible to retrieve stuff off of this old computer and transfer it to a new MacBook without the old one being able to start up? I'd like to get access to my photos and music and programs that are on my old computer. They are not saved on an external hard drive, unfortunately. How do I access them besides just fixing the graphics card? I was going to buy a new computer anyway soon but would rather not spend the extra $300 or so to fix the old computer. I just want what's on it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hold down the T key and start it in Target mode, then the new computer can access it via FireWire.

Reaction score
They are plugged together via a FireWire cable?

Ensure Sidebar > Eternal Disks or General > External disks are enabled in the Finder Preferences.

Reaction score
Yes. I was able to find the target disk and dragged some applications to the host computer but wasn't able to find my iPhoto photos or iTunes music that i would like to transfer to the new computer. All i see are their icons. Also once dragged to the host computer, i wasn't able to open some of the applications such as an old version of photoshop which i had been using on the previous computer. How do i import iPhoto photos, etc. off the old computer to the new one? Thank you, and sorry, I'm totally not good at this stuff, clearly.

Reaction score
Should be in /Users/USERNAME/Pictures folder.

Ensure that Get Info on Drive and Ignore ownership on this volume is checked.

Don't want to be drag and dropping Adobe Apps!

nor many others better to find the right version and install properly.

Ask a Question