Transferring files from OS X to PC

Reaction score
--I am sorry if this has been posted before, I searched through the archives for quite awhile looking for a solution but I couldn't find what I was looking for--

Ok, so from the top. I am a long-time PC user and I consider myself to be pretty advanced. I recently decided to take the plunge and learn what the mac is all about (I must credit the Steve Jobs biography for pushing me over the edge). I have been able to figure out most of my daily interactions with the mac but the networking still baffles me sometimes. :confused:

I have a home network with 1 hardwired Windows 7 PC (media server), 2 wireless Windows 7 desktops, and now my MBP Retina. I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion but I was having the same issue with Lion also. I use the "Go > Connect to server" and I am connecting to the user profile I created on my media server. The profile was created with full read/write privileges. I can read and copy the files to the mac without a problem. When I try to make any attempt to copy TO the PC, I get the little grayed out "do not cross" icon.

I have tried copying and pasting, changing permissions, "Sharing" the source folder on the mac, turning on SMB sharing and none of it has brought me any closer. I would be happy to share any additional information that may help to solve this issue.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to picking everyone's brains from time to time.

Reaction score
Don't know too much about Windows networking but,
You know the Mac can't write directly to NTFS, same with External Harddrives.

It might be easier to turn SMB Sharing on on the Mac and Copy the files from Windows logged into the Mac, not the Mac logged into Windows.

Reaction score
Ahh, with the ease of networking the two computers together I forgot that the mac may not be able to write to NTFS drives. I'm sure this is the culprit. I will attempt to copy the files from the Mac while working on the PC. While not a perfect setup, it may be the only way =)

Ask a Question