Transferring And Duplicating Files Across Partition ?

Reaction score
Hello,

New iMac.

Using Parallels to switch to Windows partition.

I have, e.g., WORD and Excel (different versions) on both partitions.
No problem creating WORD documents on either side.

For a document or spreadsheet made on the Windows side, what is the easiest
way to duplicate, or copy it (also), to the Apple OS side ? Other than putting on a USB Stick, e.g.

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
Once again, at the risk of not getting any kind of "thank you" (you have yet to update us on the thread you started about Time Machine), I suspect that no matter which OS partition you are on, the other partition cannot be "seen" as a place to save a file to. That is, if you use Word (no need for all Caps) or Excel on the Mac partition, you cannot save it to the Windows/Parallels partition. Similarly, if you use Word or Excel on the Windows/Parallels partition, you cannot save it to the Mac OS partition.

If all of that is true, and assuming you can access your EMail on either partition, then what you can do is to EMail the Word/Excel file to yourself, and then open the EMail program on the other partition. What I do not know is that whether or not double clicking on the file (as an attachment) will launch the pertinent program. That is, if you have a Word document that was created with the Windows version of Word, and you EMail a copy of the file to yourself, then launch your EMail program on the Mac side, and double click on the attached Word file, will that launch the Mac version of Word?

The other way is via "Copy and Paste". This article discusses that (along with other things):

https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/28/13081842/mossberg-parallels-12-windows-10-macos-sierra

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could use an external drive, formatted as ExFat, this would be readable and writable from Windows and OS X.

Reaction score
You could use an external drive, formatted as ExFat, this would be readable and writable from Windows and OS X.

Yeah, that is an excellent solution! For that matter, he could format the flash drive as ExFat, and just like an external HDD/SDD, it would be readable and writable by/to either OS.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You could use Dropbox?

Drag file to your Win Dropbox folder then when you log into Mac it will be sitting in your Mac Dropbox folder

Reaction score
I wonder if any of those ideas worked.

Excellent question! We never hear from the op as to whether or not anything suggested for him worked or not. I have previously mentioned that a couple of times, but it seems to have fallen "on deaf ears".

Ask a Question