Transferring files and apps to a firewireless Macbook?

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a Macbook and transferring all of my files from my Mac desktop and the Lacie external hard drive attached to it via firewire. I also want to transfer photoshop and microsoft office to my new mac. unfortunately, the new Macbook doesnt have a firewire port ):

There's something called a Targus File Share Cable for Mac, which let's you transfer files via usb (kind of like the firewire target mode), only i'm not sure if applications can be transfered too.

The other option i'm considering is using a flash drive, but again, i dont know if it's possible to put applications onto this.

does someone have any idea if either of these will work? if not, any suggestions to what else i could do? i dont have the disks for photoshop or microsoft office so that's not an option ):

thanks!

Reaction score
Applications can be transferred too. However, apps like Photoshop install files that help it run in many areas of your Mac. So, by simply transferring the Photoshop application to another drive without it's associated files, Photoshop will either not run at all or run poorly. On the bright side, this method should work with Microsoft Office. Another option would be to clone your hard drive and transfer the clone.

Reaction score
thanks! yeah, as long as I can get microsoft word over i'll be happy. apple really screwed up this laptop by taking out the firewire!

Ask a Question