Trackpad 2008 15"mbp way too "overactive"

Reaction score
I have a overactive trackpad which seems to click onto random sections of the screen with sometimes light blue drop down menus or drags unwanted rectangular boxes which can be as big or small depending on when I double click to make it, (the box or icon) disappear.This is a pre unibody mbp running leopard.Apart from this annoying glitch I have no real issues with this unit.Any ideas, OS X, HDD,RAM, Motherboard?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Is this the same Mac and could this be related to your previous post here:

macbook pro trackpad not responding

If the battery is not swelling and causing the same issue as you had before, then normally that issue is caused by a bad trackpad unit. Since this is a pre Unibody model, the trackpad is part of the top case and it would need to be replaced. Unfortunately, that model is now Vintage, so service parts are only available to Apple Service Providers in the state of California.

It could also be foreign material is lodged between the top case and the trackpad unit, or the tension screw needs to be adjusted. You could try using a USB mouse and setting System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Ignore trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present to checked/enabled.

C

Ask a Question