Printer

Reaction score
I use a GCC Elite 21N laser printer. Anyway, I did with the older computer:

MacBook Pro 17" 2.53GHz Core i5 (A1297) Mid 2010 MC024LL/A SKU17697 MC024LL/A GS17697

OSX Version 10.6.8 Safari Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10)

Now I am using:

MacBook Pro Silver
macOS. Sierra Version 10.12.3
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
Processor: 2.6 GHz. Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz. LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

There is no printer app for a printer. Apple suggests to download an app from Apple, and not use an app from the printer folks, and I don't see a GCC Elite app listed in their apps.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Reaction score
More "recent" versions of the Mac OS come with software for a wide variety of printers. But apparently there are none for your printer. This link contains all such printer software available in Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201465

Also, it looks like, from GCC's site, there are only Windows versions of drivers for your printer.

The thing you can try is download and install the latest version of Gutenprint for Mac OS X, from here:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Cannot guarantee that will work, as I have never needed to use it.

Reaction score
I had a printer problem with the earlier MacBook Pro and communicated with GCC about it, but it went unresolved with them. There was no specific app in that computer for GCC printers. Finally, I found a Mac general laser printer app in that computer, and tried that and it worked out OK. I passed that information onto GCC.

I'll try your suggestion.

Reaction score
When you say "in that computer", what exactly do you mean? Did you get such an app from another source, like the Apple Store? New Macs typically do not come with additional, hardware-specific apps.

Reaction score
But again, "in that computer" actually means (I believe) software on that machine.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

This may be more difficult than I first thought, as that printer was released in the approximately 15 years ago, and was compatible with Mac OS 7.5 through the early versions of OS X. I will be very difficult to impossible to find a workaround to get the GCC working with macOS Sierra. It may be easier to keep it connected to the older MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and use the Printer Sharing feature.

You could also contact the folks at Gutenprint to see if one of their generic drivers would work with that printer.

C

Reaction score
Yeah, Cory, I saw that also, regarding the "newest" drivers for the printer, even on GCC's site. As you suggested, he should contact Gutenprint to try and get some assistance.

Reaction score
I posted this query at the Apple site also, and one of the suggestions was the Generic Post Script alternative. I selected the Generic Post Script alternative, and then configure, and had to wait for the multicolored spinning ball to stop spinning. It took a few minutes for everything to co-ordinate together, and when it did, I turned off the printer, and restarted the computer, then turned the printer back on again and sent a document to the printer and it worked out just fine.

I am really pleased that this old GCC laser printer is back in operation again with this new computer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...so glad it is working for you. It can sometimes be very difficult to get older printers up and running with new versions of OS X.

Enjoy,

C

Reaction score
More "recent" versions of the Mac OS come with software for a wide variety of printers. But apparently there are none for your printer. This link contains all such printer software available in Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201465

Also, it looks like, from GCC's site, there are only Windows versions of drivers for your printer.

The thing you can try is download and install the latest version of Gutenprint for Mac OS X, from here:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Cannot guarantee that will work, as I have never needed to use it.
I used to use the Gimp driver for my Heidelburg laser printer since I couldn't find any Mac drivers for it, and it worked great. In fact, I've even used the Gimp driver with other people's printers when I'd have to have my Mac on-site for a print job I couldn't handle at home, like really, really, really large PostScript files.

Reaction score
Yes, I have read about the Gimp driver/software before. Fortunately, I've been able to use either the company's printer/fax drivers, or what comes with the Mac OS. For scanning, however, I have the excellent product VueScan, and it has always worked flawlessly.

Reaction score
Yes, I have read about the Gimp driver/software before. Fortunately, I've been able to use either the company's printer/fax drivers, or what comes with the Mac OS. For scanning, however, I have the excellent product VueScan, and it has always worked flawlessly.
I really like the scanning software that came with my little Epson WF-3620. It's lean and clean as you would call it. It only has a couple of bells or whistles, but with the backing of the Mighty Photoshop, I don't need any of them. What I really do love is that it will scan up to 2,400 dpi and does it very, very nicely, albeit a bit more slowly (duh).

I had to give up a 20-year old laser printer a few years ago, and for the life of me, I can't recall the brand, but its model designation was "810." This was back when System 7 ruled and when you could NOT use Postscript and TrueType fonts in the same document. Then Apple and Adobe must've fixed the issue, but the printer still wouldn't tolerate the presence of both font formats within a document. I contacted the company in Georgia, and they sent me a FREE ROM upgrade card, FREE additional RAM, an anti-static mat and wrist band and a complete tool-kit and instructions for installing it. Talk about customer service! I put more than 450,000 prints on two different drums before I had to retire the old girl. That's when I bought my Heidelberg, which might well be the finest printer ever manufactured.

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention that I have all the right drivers for the Heidelberg now, but it's nice to know that Gimp will work for me if the need were to ever arise.

Reaction score
I still have my old MacBook Pro, so when I need to print something I can transfer it from my newer Mac to the old Mac and then print it out, since the older Mac has the drivers on it for the GCC Printer. Also, I still have the Fax software on the old Mac that I use to fax out documents. The newer Mac doesn't have that kind of software on it either.

Reaction score
I had to do that very thing for a while when I wanted to print from InDesign CS4 or Illustrator CS4, saving files in "legacy" formats and herding them into my G4 MDD. Then I had an epiphany and simply began saving those as Postscript files and distilling them and printing them as PDFs. It's amazed me that after more than 30 years of using a Mac, there always seems to be more than one way to skin the proverbial cat if one simply sits quietly while contemplating the problem and coming up with a desirable resolution.

Ask a Question