Mac print server broadcasting duplicates of printers when users try to add printers from server!

Reaction score
Salutations,

We have a MacOS print server with Papercut that is broadcasting in a feedback loop. We have about 20 printers on the print server which are shared via mac’s integrated “Share this printer on the network” option, (Papercut is just a database), which usually would share the printer via bonjour, named something akin to “OfficePrinter @ printserver” as we view it from another Macs add printer option.

What we are experiencing is a duplication (sometimes into the hundreds) of copies being broadcasted (see screenshot).

We have tried rebooting, re-adding printers, resetting the printing system, toggling sharing using both the system settings printer option and the sharing settings options. Both hide the printer, but the duplicates remain on the network for a time after. The add printer interface shows the many duplicates “Kind” as Bonjour, our legitimate printers appear as “Bonjour Shared”, I’m not sure if that plays a part somehow.

Our users have been adding printers from this menu since the beginning, and now every time the server reboots those printers added are no longer valid and show not connected. If we reboot the server and our user adds the printer right away after it’s back up, everything seems to “stick” and they can use it between server reboots. We thought it could be a network loop, but we can’t seem to find one in our network at all, so we are trying to explore other possibilities. Some of the other strange things are that the Locations of the duplicate printers often say the location, and a random computer in our domain, like “Office300 (room200pc.local)“. This is sometimes even deeper like “Office300 (room200pc.local) (404labmachine.local)”..

The server has two interfaces, one to a network with all of our users who print via their devices on the wireless, and one to all of our physical permanent machines(labs). Each printer is added to the server using IP on LPD protocol. Bonjour is turned off on most/all of our printers.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

~AlexIT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.40.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.40.27 PM.png
    34 KB · Views: 332
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.40.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.40.46 PM.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 274

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

We use PaperCut where I work, so I will look into it a bit further and let you know if I find anything that may help.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me dig into it.

A support tech has since got back to me suggesting:
"This could be happening due to ios printer sharing. Can you try the steps below to disable Papercut's legacy iOS printing support.

In Terminal, change to this directory:
/Applications/PaperCut [NG or MF]/providers/iosprint/mac/
Run ./disable-iosprint.command
."

-This helped cleaned up the duplicating/multiplying broadcasts but has not remedied our problem. Currently, we reboot the server every morning for an hour of blissful clean broadcast before it starts again.

We also made sure the command was run in the directory. We made sure the service was disabled. we had to fix/debug the command file because running it didn't work and resulted in two errors, a bad path to the Flag File and the service not being found(I assume that is because we already ran that command before and it is still unloaded?

We used the Bonjour Browser (http://www.tildesoft.com/) to help check our broadcasts and what I've noticed is the "real" bonjour shares are the ones with admin url fieldset. The rest are duplicates from what we have seen.
Thanks for any help, thoughts, or comments,

~AlexIT

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I checked on our PaperCut installation, and don't see anything that could help out. I would work with PaperCut directly, as they would probably be the best source for troubleshooting/support.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory,

I think we found the solution Friday Afternoon! We just wanted to see how it did over the weekend. We run a few secondary servers for our large format fine art printers. We ran the same terminal fix they sent us for our main server on the secondary servers and our Bonjour has been clean ever since. So that's super exciting, I just wanted to document the fix for anyone with future issues.
Cheers,

~AlexIT

Fix:
"
In Terminal, change to this directory:
/Applications/PaperCut [NG or MF]/providers/iosprint/mac/
Run ./disable-iosprint.command
."

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent! Glad you found a solution that seems to be working.

Thanks for posting it, and let us know if completely solves it.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Papercut/bonjour broadcasts are still stable, we are graciously marking it off as solved.
Cheers,

~AlexIT

Ask a Question