SOLVED My 2018 Mac Mini suddenly refuses to wake from sleep mode.

Reaction score
I have to manually shut it down with the button on the back and then restart it every time. 2018 1 TB 16 RAM, everything updated so far as I can tell. Just started 2 days ago. No O/S changes (Monterrey)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have to manually shut it down with the button on the back and then restart it every time. 2018 1 TB 16 RAM, everything updated so far as I can tell. Just started 2 days ago. No O/S changes (Monterrey)
Are you running macOS 12.3 and had the logic board in the Mac mini ever been replaced?

Reaction score
I am running 12.3. I haven't a clue about the logic board. Is that the SSD or is it the Intel 5 chip?

Reaction score
I am running 12.3. I haven't a clue about the logic board. Is that the SSD or is it the Intel 5 chip?
The logic board contains the most vital parts of the Mac (CPU, memory, bluetooth and wifi modules, etc.). If you had the Mac previously repaired with a major issue, they could have replaced the logic board (aka, motherboard) altogether.

Anyway, you should try the hardware reset steps first. Reset the SMC by shutting down the Mac. Press and hold the power button until it seems to power up and shut down again. Press and release the second time to power up normally. See if that alleviated the issue.

If the problem persists, do a parameter RAM reset. Start or restart and immediately press down the command-option-P-R keys and hold until you get the startup chime again but now hold down the Shift key until the startup completes. This puts you in Safe Mode. It takes longer and extensions will not be loaded. Its function is to clear your system caches. Afterwards, restart in normal mode and check again if the issue was resolved.

One thing to be aware of with a PRAM reset is if you have external SSDs connected to Thunderbolt (as SATA), TRIM will be turned off. If this is the case, I can provide you with the steps to reenable TRIM.

Reaction score
The logic board contains the most vital parts of the Mac (CPU, memory, bluetooth and wifi modules, etc.). If you had the Mac previously repaired with a major issue, they could have replaced the logic board (aka, motherboard) altogether.

Anyway, you should try the hardware reset steps first. Reset the SMC by shutting down the Mac. Press and hold the power button until it seems to power up and shut down again. Press and release the second time to power up normally. See if that alleviated the issue.

If the problem persists, do a parameter RAM reset. Start or restart and immediately press down the command-option-P-R keys and hold until you get the startup chime again but now hold down the Shift key until the startup completes. This puts you in Safe Mode. It takes longer and extensions will not be loaded. Its function is to clear your system caches. Afterwards, restart in normal mode and check again if the issue was resolved.

One thing to be aware of with a PRAM reset is if you have external SSDs connected to Thunderbolt (as SATA), TRIM will be turned off. If this is the case, I can provide you with the steps to reenable TRIM.

I've tried a few things. Shut off the router for a minute and plugged it back in, That seems to have helped. Got the idea from a notice on the TV about not accessing the free movies but should try that there.

But I still had restart problems mostly when waking from sleep mode. I was desperate enough to erase the HD. Not knowing which apps were causing the "restart error message: I researched/interpreted to mean "old or incompatible apps", I've been restoring a few at a time from Time Machine. Damn that's slow..

So far, that means the O/S, safari, AOL mail, my 2 blogs, and Microsoft Office 365 mostly. It restarted twice after that, but has been stable since then. I'll be adding a couple apps per day to see if one causes problems.

I don't have a dedicated Mac keyboard, so I wasn't sure about Options and Command keys. Well, I looked up a Mac keyboard and paper-taped the names on them, LOL!

At the moment, and after several hours today, the Mac hasn't done that random "restart" on me. I will see if restoring some other apps back causes the old problem.

I am having problems restoring photos though. I think they are on iCloud and I am trying to get away from that. I'm trying to get off Google Accounts too. I guess I need to visit ICloud to get my photos. I didn't know they got moved there months ago.

Reaction score
I am having problems restoring photos though. I think they are on iCloud and I am trying to get away from that. I'm trying to get off Google Accounts too. I guess I need to visit ICloud to get my photos. I didn't know they got moved there months ago.
If you have enough disk space on the Mac, you should turn off Optimize Mac Storage in System Preferences -> Apple ID -> iCloud. It’s good to have a backup copy of your iCloud files on Apple’s servers, but it’s faster if you also have them locally. This way, you won’t have to pull any of your files from iCloud.

On the matter of identifying the keys on your non-Apple keyboard, go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Input Sources and check the box for “Show Input menu in menu bar.” Afterwards when you click on the menu bar icon, select Show Keyboard Viewer and an interactive keyboard window will open for you. This is my keyboard. Command = ⌘; Option = ⌥; Control = ⌃, and so on.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 09.03.03.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you all. But I realized the Mac Mini was getting HOT. HD heat death,,, I'm buying a new one.

Reaction score
Put it off for weeks because it stopped restarting. But then it got hot again! I gave up. Ordered a new 2020 Mac Mini 1 TB SSD, M1 chip, 16 RAM. I'm a bit concerned about the M1 chip, but I suppose I'll have to live with it eventually anyway.

Reaction score
Put it off for weeks because it stopped restarting. But then it got hot again! I gave up. Ordered a new 2020 Mac Mini 1 TB SSD, M1 chip, 16 RAM. I'm a bit concerned about the M1 chip, but I suppose I'll have to live with it eventually anyway.
I’m sure you made the right choice. I was getting desperate with my 2018 Mac mini and would have replaced it with the M1 Mac mini had it not been for the lack of ports. I have four external SSDs and four external HDs, and with the dual displays the M1 mini would not work. As soon as the Mac Studio came out I ordered the base model, upgrading to the 32-core GPU and two TB drive.

You chose well to opt for the one terabyte storage. If not for my setup, I would be typing this on the same model Mac as yours. Having stated that, this Studio runs like a dream. After my wallet has recovered I’m sure I will be truly elated.

Reaction score
1 TB leaves me about a 1/2 - 2/3rd free. 16 Ram seems to work well enough. I like having multiple apps open since I switch around a lot, but I don't put great demands on any at a time. A tech said Monterry "sucks up RAM", so I went with 16. Almost went with 24 but that seemed overkill. I'm a casual user, but lots of pics and switching.

Trying to stay off The Cloud.

Reaction score
Adding you might want to check out the Satechi Type-C Aluminum Stand & Hub - USB-C Data Port, Micro/SD Card Readers, USB 3.0 & Headphone Jack Port - Compatible with 2020 & 2018 Mac Mini (Space Gray or black, I think). It has a lot more ports and the Mac Mini sits right on it. There may be others. But I've been happy with it.

Reaction score
Adding you might want to check out the Satechi Type-C Aluminum Stand & Hub - USB-C Data Port, Micro/SD Card Readers, USB 3.0 & Headphone Jack Port - Compatible with 2020 & 2018 Mac Mini (Space Gray or black, I think). It has a lot more ports and the Mac Mini sits right on it. There may be others. But I've been happy with it.
I have, had, the Satechi hub. I was not happy with it and gave it away. With your present Mac, I suggest looking at Thunderbolt 4/USB-4 capable hubs, or even docks. They are much faster and a good investment for future technology. YouTube is a good place to look for reviews of these gadgets. The CalDigit hubs and docks get good reviews, but I’m cynical. Just keep looking.

Another advantage to Thunderbolt is that attached drives perform better than with USB. And you can also turn on TRIM in your attached SSDs. TRIM is very much underestimated and misunderstood, and it is vital to the long-term health of SSDs. Even with all my attached drives on Thunderbolt, I still have to re-enable TRIM on the SSDs because it gets turned off whenever you zap your PRAM. I still don’t know why this subject is not widespread with everyday users, and techies don’t seem to bother to share the knowledge. I haven’t zapped the PRAM in my Mac Studio since I got it, but I should get a chance sometime soon.

Last edited:

Ask a Question