MacAir 2018

Reaction score
I bought my laptop believing I would love it as much as I've loved all of my MacAir laptops. However, I was let down. I've disliked it for so long that right now I'm using it for the second time since I bought it. I kept using my old MacAir 2015. because it had all of the things that made it a great laptop. However, my sturdy 2015 has begun to have problems, and I'm hoping someone here might be able how to deal with a particular difficult issue that will help me not want to get rid of my '18.

I managed to find a magnetic attachment to prevent my tripping over the cord - this was after I first had my 2018 and tripped over the cord and had to have the computer repaired. I was also frustrated with the fact that the 2018 only had one USB port, but I figured I could get a hub. After I bought the hub, I then realized that the 2018 would only allow one external drive attached at a time.

So, my question is: Does anyone know a way to get around this? I really want to love my 2018, but whoever designed it apparently didn't understand that more than one port was a necessity for most users.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions or ideas that might make me want to keep the 2018.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, some of the MacBook lines were a bit sparse on connections. But, you can use dongles/hubs to attach more devices. Of course, they are designed for mobility, so they won't have the same capabilities as a desktop. However, if you use them more as a desktop, you can get a powered hub that will give you more connections.
  • Are you using it as a portable or a desktop?
  • What brand/model are the external drives?
  • Are the bus-powered or do they have an AC adapter?
  • What other devices would you like to connect?
C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, some of the MacBook lines were a bit sparse on connections. But, you can use dongles/hubs to attach more devices. Of course, they are designed for mobility, so they won't have the same capabilities as a desktop. However, if you use them more as a desktop, you can get a powered hub that will give you more connections.
I have a laptop, I'm using Passport external drives, they are powered by the computer, and they are bus-powered.

The problem is that I'm using an external drive, but the laptop only allows one on at time.

Could this be solved by using a heavier hub? I've just ordered an

Apanage Powered USB 3.0 Hub, 11 Ports USB Hub Splitter (7 High Speed Data Transfer Ports + 4 smart Charging Ports) with Individual On/Off Switches and 48W Power Adapter for Mac Pro/mini, PC, HDD, Disk

I do a lot of work where I need to transfer some information on one drive and other information to the other.​

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I assume your model is the MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018), correct? If so, it has 2 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.

Because they are bus-powered there is probably a limitation on a MacBook Air. A powered hub should allow you to connect more than one, since the bus power will come from the hub, not the MBA.

I am not sure that hub will work with your Mac, as it doesn't state Mac-compatibility, and only has a USB 3 connection. I would recommend a AC powered Thunderbolt 3 hub, which can be on the pricy side. OWC makes some, and they have compatibility lists for their products.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
You may need to look at Thunderbolt hubs. They might look like regular USB-C hubs but as long as your source (MacBook Air) is Thunderbolt, they will work. You can easily tell between a USB and Thunderbolt hub… the latter costs about $300+. Anything below $200 will probably be USB-C only output, not Thunderbolt. Amazon is very liberal about returns (but make sure before you buy), so if it does not work for you, you can return/exchange it.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

C
Thanks for your reply. I feel a bit the idiot when I realized I was using an incorrect hub. However, as I am bedridden much of the time, using the USB-c hub is still going to be a bit of a problem as the only place I will have to put it will be on my bed. I might have to opt for a bed desk with an area to place personal items.

Ask a Question