Macbook pro 2018 copper material sticking out laptop

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Quite recently I bought a brand new mbp 2018 model and have been using it for 3 months and was glad with the purchase. As a firstime mac user I was suprised how efficient the OS actually is.

Unfortunely I noticed that there was something wrong with the laptop, and this probably happened in the time that I was using it.
IMG_20190626_201542.jpg

Here are two examples of how it looks like. First it seemed as if it was coming from the exterior of the laptop but it's actually from inside of the chassis.
Before I send the laptop away for repair, would you guys know what could be the cause of this or how?

Kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_201438_1561581331572.jpg
    IMG_20190626_201438_1561581331572.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 349

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

What location is that a photo of - the bottom rear? It looks to me like a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth or LVDS display cable. I would definitely get it looked at. Has the MBP ever been taken apart?

C

Reaction score
Exactly, bottom rear. The Mbp has never been taken apart and I have bought it in april so it's quite new. I will but unfortunately won't have the time to get it checked at for awhile, otherwise I really hope I don't have to pay for it since it should fall under warranty.

Thanks for your reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It could also be some form of copper shielding. I would think it would be an easy fix if it isn't something important, or you aren't experiencing any functions not working. Honestly, I would make time to get it looked at as soon as possible, since it was a recent purchase. The longer you wait may influence whether it is covered under warranty, and if it is an important cable, you could lose some functionality or cause further damage.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Hi @Pbateman, I know I'm a bit late to the game here but did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue with my 2018 MBP, the copper substance is leaking in the same place with the exact same look to it. Your pictures look like they were taken from my machine that's how similar the issue is ...

Ask a Question