MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 + Samsung LC24F390FHUXEN

Reaction score
I have an issue with my macbook and samsung curved monitor. For some reason the picture quality is poor and kinda blurry. I tried to fix it with the instructions from here https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862 but nothing seems to help. I’m running Mojave.

Any tips/ instructions on the issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be a few things:
-The Samsung only has a resolution of 1920x1080 and HDMI interface.
-What brand/model display adapter are you using?
-Are you mirroring your MBP display, or using the Samsung as a secondary display?
-If mirroring, are you having it sync to the MBP or Samsung resolution?
-Have you tried changing the resolution in the Displays control panel? You can adjust them individually for the MBP and the Samsung when not in mirror mode.

You shouldn't have to run scripts to correct the display issue.

C

Reaction score

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information. Since it looks the same with the adapter and the built-in HDMI port, then it sounds like an issue with the Samsung. Also, it sounds like you are using it in closed-lid mode?

Because its resolution is only 1980x1080, it may just be there aren't enough pixels, and the MBP is "zooming" the resolution. I would guess that everything is much larger on the Samsung, than on the Retina. Retina display also have the capability of "adjusting" to lower resolutions while maintaining razor sharp images and text, due to the very high pixel density. The Samsung will never come close to the sharpness of the MBP's built-in Retina display. Only a 4K or higher external display would give you a much sharper image. I think it just has to do with the limitations of the Samsung's LCD panel versus the very high resolution internal Retina.

C

Ask a Question