Macbook Pro retina won't power after battery change

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Thank you for letting me join your forum.
A customer brought a Macbook Pro Retina A1398 June 2012 model, Core i7 MC975LL/A He said he was getting messages saying battery is failing so he bought a new one and fitted it, after this it would not power on at all. I have checked connections and tested the battery and all seem good. When the power button is pressed or the charger is connected, all that happens is the fans power on and nothing else, no start up chime. Tried going back to the old battery and still the same, fans spinning and nothing else.
If anyone can suggest where to start looking i would be eternally grateful.
Thanks guys
John

Reaction score
First, if the new battery is not a genuine Apple model, that can be an issue. Secondly, even if that battery is OK, most likely there is an issue involving the internal drive. Either it is a software issue, or the internal drive has gone bad.

So, you'll need to ask the person the following questions:

1. Have they ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? One can actually do a good amount of disk cleanup on their own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help with those tasks.

2. This is critical: have any backups been done to an external device?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like an internal cable may have become unseated, or there is a slight possibility that there may be some static or other damage to the internals.

You could try reseating the RAM as well, as that be knocked loose. honestone is correct...it could be a bad non-Apple battery.

You could also try an SMC and NVRAM reset.

Let us know how that goes,

C

Ask a Question