2016 15 Inch MacBook Pro Touch Bar/Control Strip Not Showing/Working...Tried everything!

Reaction score
Hello, I have a MacBook Pro 15 Inch 2016 model running on Mojave 10.14.5

The Touch Bar stopped appearing a few days ago, but would still work. ( I could still change brightness, volume, emojis when typing, etc). Resetting the MacBook would make it reappear briefly, but it would still disappear. Now today, it has stopped working all together (minus the finger print/power button).

I have tried what seems like everything...

-Tried closing the the control strip and Touch Bar in Activity Monitor (now they don't appear at all when restarting the MacBook).
-Tried the Terminal app, doing the "sudo pkill" "pkill" "killall" commands did nothing. Either "operation not permitted" appears or "no matching processes were found" appears.
-Tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC multiple times, at first this would make it reappear briefly but now does nothing.
-Ran diagnostics and it came back with no results, saying everything is fine.
-All my apps and software are up to date to my knowledge, Ive also unplugged any monitors/external devices, etc before trying all of these steps.
-Any settings in the keyboard settings tab show no signs of the Touch Bar even existing, before they were editable but would do nothing.
-I have also tried the "fn" trick with no results.

I am completely stumped and want to avoid going to an Apple store genius If possible, hoping there's something else I haven't tried. I will also note that every 20 minutes if I go to the bathroom or leave my MacBook unresponsive, it restarts with the message "Your computer restarted because of a problem". Again this is only when I am unresponsive on the computer and diagnostics show no problems, nor am I doing anything out of the ordinary.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you have tried all the troubleshooting steps. My guess would be that it failed. It could be just a failure, or have unknown liquid damage. That would also cause the spontaneous restarting.

Honestly, your best bet may be to take it to an Apple Store - if you were having issues with any of the keys, maybe it could be covered in this:

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro

Good luck!

C

Ask a Question