New Version of Office 2016, V16.16, Release

Reaction score
Well, I'm a tad bit less enthusiastic about it. The only items I use are Word and Excel. The Excel I don't have a problem with. My old files work quite well with the new upgrade. But Word...

The default view Zoom when a document opens is 90%, and I can't change the default. I can change the Zoom to 100%, but I have to do it with each document.

Also, documents open in some random position on the desktop, not where I had previously positioned them. It didn't used to be that way.

I use a MacBook Pro Silver macOS Sierra Version 10.13.5.

Reaction score
I only use Word and Excel "occasionally", and I rarely, if ever, do anything "fancy" with them. But I also depend upon Outlook for my primary EMail needs, and thus that program is critical (I also keep up to date with AutoUpdate).

Also, I assume that for "I use a MacBook Pro Silver macOS Sierra Version 10.13.5", you actually mean High Sierra V10.13.5, correct? By the way, an update to High Sierra, V10.13.6, came out about 6 weeks ago. You can easily upgrade by downloading and running the OS 10.13.6 Combo Updater, available from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970?locale=en_US

If, though, you are still running Sierra, the last version was V10.12.6.

Reaction score
Yes, matter of fact, I just checked, and I am running 10.13.6.

But, that doesn't alter the fact that I am really disappointed in the "downgrade" I got from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Was not a "downgrade" for me. Also, best to keep up to date, as Mojave, OS 10.14, will be coming out soon. Myself, besides Office 2016, I use 4 other critical applications which will need to be compatible with Mojave before I upgrade.

Reaction score
Not sure why you cannot change the default zoom, as I am able to do this on both my MacBookPro and iMac.

Reaction score
Not sure why you cannot change the default zoom, as I am able to do this on both my MacBookPro and iMac.

I have used Microsoft Word successfully for several years. I could position a document, set up the viewing criteria, and when I opened the document next time, everything would be as I had left it. I recently purchased the new Microsoft Office program with my new MacBook Pro, and now those features that I had used for years are gone.

Reaction score
I just did it on my mid 2017 13" Mac Book Air. I opened up a document with Word 2016 (latest version), selected a Zoom of 150%, and then did a Save for that document. I then re-launched Word, selected another document, and sure enough, the zoom was 150%. So, not sure why you are having an issue with that.

Reaction score
I just did it on my mid 2017 13" Mac Book Air. I opened up a document with Word 2016 (latest version), selected a Zoom of 150%, and then did a Save for that document. I then re-launched Word, selected another document, and sure enough, the zoom was 150%. So, not sure why you are having an issue with that.

I just did the same thing you did. I opened a Microsoft Word document. The Zoom was 90%. I changed it to 150% and saved it and closed it. I then opened another Microsoft Word document. The Zoom was 90%. I closed it, and then opened the first document again. The Zoom was 90%.

Reaction score
I just did the same thing you did. I opened a Microsoft Word document. The Zoom was 90%. I changed it to 150% and saved it and closed it. I then opened another Microsoft Word document. The Zoom was 90%. I closed it, and then opened the first document again. The Zoom was 90%.

Well, I don't know what you are doing wrong/differently, but I just did it on my late 2012 Mac Mini, running OS 10.13.6, and Word V16.16, and it works flawlessly. I assume you are adjusting the Zoom from the View Menu, after you select the first document. Here is what I just did:

1. Launched Word 2016.

2. Opened a previously saved file (with a Zoom of 100%), selected 150% from the View menu (of course the view changed), saved the "revised" (ie, new Zoom 150%) document, and quit Word.

3. Launched Word again, selected another document, and its zoom "amount" was (as expected) 150%.

4. Quit Word, shut down the Mac Mini, waited about a minute, then started the Mac Mini up again.

5. Launched Word, and no matter what document I select (whether it was one I worked on previously, or another one), the Zoom amount is 150%.

Reaction score
One thing I did notice: I turn on Word; open a document; it is set for 90% Zoom. I set the Zoom at 100%. All other Word documents I open after that have 100% Zoom. I close all the documents; reopen one; it is 90% Zoom.

Reaction score
It works for me, even if I don't save the "re-zoomed" document. I just launched Word, opened up a document (with the Zoom set to 150%), changed the zoom % to 100%, and quit Word. Launched Word again, selected a document, and the zoom was 100%. That "new" zoom of 100% was the same no matter which document I opened.

Reaction score
It works for me, even if I don't save the "re-zoomed" document. I just launched Word, opened up a document (with the Zoom set to 150%), changed the zoom % to 100%, and quit Word. Launched Word again, selected a document, and the zoom was 100%. That "new" zoom of 100% was the same no matter which document I opened.

Are you using HIGH SIERRA OS on your Mac?

Reaction score
No need to "shout" (all caps for the OS)! Yes, I am using High Sierra on both of my Macs. But I'd be surprised that would make a difference,

Last edited:
Reaction score
No need to "shout" (all caps for the OS)! Yes, I am using High Sierra on both of my Macs. But I'd be surprised that would make a difference,

From Microsoft Office Forum:
“It has been mentioned that users are having problems with version 16.9 and higher of Office. Office for the Mac has undergone dramatic changes in Office 2016. There have been a number of issues for people with the High Sierra OS.”

Reaction score
At least you stopped shouting!

Myself, I have not had issues with all the various versions of the 3 Office 2016 products I use (Outlook, Word, and Excel) with the 3 (or maybe 4?) most recent versions of the Mac OS. This zoom "stuff" is a perfect example.

As I mentioned earlier, Outlook 2016 is the one I use the most, ant it has performed flawlessly for me. But Word and Excel are fine also.

Ask a Question