Excel Toolbar downgrade for 2016

Reaction score
To update my MS Office apps to 64 bit I recently bought Office 2016 for Mac to run in 10.14.2 Mojave on my iMac. All is good except the Quick Access Toolbar has changed from bright colored high contrast icons to tiny, dim grey icons barely visible to the point of being almost unusable. I can’t find any settings to change the Quick Access Toolbar appearance. Video tutorials using Excel 2019 for Mac show high contrast white icons in a dark green background. Is there any fix for my crippled toolbar other than buying an even newer MS Office license?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact version of the Microsoft Office apps are you running?
-Can you upload a screenshot of the Quick Access Toolbar as it is now?
-The Quick Access Toolbar "look" cannot be changed, and has looked that way for a couple of versions.

Here's what Office 365 Excel 16.21 (190115) looks like on the Mac I have Office installed on:
excel_qat.png

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory but I’ve found the problem. Turns out you can change the Toolbar look in Excel Preferences > General > Personalize from Office theme Classic (white background & grey icons) to Office theme Colorful (green background & white icons). The icons are still tiny & without color but at least visible against the green. Unfortunately in my Office 2016 for Mac they took away the Ribbon icon forcing us to display the ribbon with a two handed keyboard selection instead of a single Toolbar icon click. Maybe it’s still there for Office 365 and/or Windows users. The lack of that one icon is a big deal for us heavy Toolbar users on Macs. I’ll keep using my 32 bit Excel for as long as I can.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...now I understand what your issue was, thus my response about no way to change it.

Thanks for the clarification, and glad you identified it.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question