Excel/PowerPoint to PDF Image Quality

Reaction score
I think the last software update affected my ability to save higher quality PDFs when saving from Excel and PowerPoint. I loose the quality in my pictures and logos so they look blurry. Word doesn't seem to have that problem because I can select "Best for electronic distribution" or "Best for printing". Is there anywhere I can adjust the save as PDF quality options? I have Office 2016 installed and recently reinstalled in hopes that it would fix the issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS - 10.13.3 High Sierra?
-Are you using Save As... or printing to a PDF?
-Could it be a font issue?
-Can you upload a sample that we can take a look at?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS - 10.13.3 High Sierra?
-Are you using Save As... or printing to a PDF?
-Could it be a font issue?
-Can you upload a sample that we can take a look at?

C
Yes - High Sierra 10.13.3.
I'm using Save As but printing to a PDF has the same outcome.
I've uploaded two invoices I created from the same template as an example. I've used a colleague's PC to save the same invoice and the logo came out perfectly so its definitely not the file or logo.

Attachments

• Blurry Sample.pdf
    48.9 KB · Views: 322
  • Clear Sample_Redacted.pdf
    130 KB · Views: 344

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...when I downloaded and opened them with Preview, the Clear Sample Redacted zooms in as perfectly sharp. It shows as made with Mac OS X 10.12.5 - PDF Version 1.7. The Blurry Sample is good until zoomed past 100%. It shows as made with Mac OS X 10.13.3 - PDF Version 1.4.

Strange indeed. Do you have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed?

C

Reaction score
I do! I recently reinstalled that as well in hopes that it would help and now have Acrobat Adobe DC version 18.11.20038

Very strange indeed!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK. Are you using it's driver to print/save from Excel? I have a feeling it may be set to that, and that's what is causing it. I don;t have any issues when using the built-in Quarts/PDF/Preview functions on my Mac.

C

Reaction score
OK. Are you using it's driver to print/save from Excel? I have a feeling it may be set to that, and that's what is causing it. I don;t have any issues when using the built-in Quarts/PDF/Preview functions on my Mac.

C
I'm sorry, that went over my head. How do I know if I'm using the driver?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
A few things:

-Is it Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Pro?
-Is Acrobat Reader/Acrobat Pro set as the default application for PDF files?
-When you print from Excel, do you see Acrobat PDF as the printer in the print dialog box?

C

Reaction score
It is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
I believe so, because everything always opens in Adobe Acrobat
No, it is not set up as printer, I select Save As PDF from the bottom left drop down menu. There's also the option to Save As Adobe PDF (which I just discovered) and that allows me to select the Adobe PDF Settings. I selected High Quality Print and I had the exact same blurry result.

Reaction score
I don't agree. This is a work computer and the lack of clarity looks sloppy to clients so I've been using PCs to save PDFs which is obviously not ideal. I also work on a lot of powerpoint presentations for sponsors and logo clarity is important. Spoke to Apple and apparently the problem might be rectified with the new IOS in 2019.

Ask a Question