Macbook Pro Won't Power On

Reaction score
Nothing happens when I press the power button. The light on the magsafe charger goes from orange to green, and the battery level indicator fills all the way up when I press the button on the side of the laptop. Prior to this I was having trouble in that I would have to press and hold the power button, and finally it would only boot up in safe mode.

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That is one of these models of MacBook Pro:
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)

You are using an 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, correct?

If so and the SMC reset doesn't do anything, then it may be the logic board or top case.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That is one of these models of MacBook Pro:
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)

You are using an 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, correct?

If so and the SMC reset doesn't do anything, then it may be the logic board or top case.

C
Thanks.

I sure am using the 85W MagSafe Power Adapter.

Is there anything I can do about the logic board? Unclear what you mean by "top case"

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It may be an issue with the logic board, which would require replacing it. The top case is the part of the case that the keyboard, trackpad and power button are part of.

If you have the AC power adapter connected, and hold the four buttons for 10 secs, the charging light should change to green then back to orange to confirm the SMC was reset. Then wait 10-15 secs and press and hold the power button for up to 20 secs and see if it powers on.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

It may be an issue with the logic board, which would require replacing it. The top case is the part of the case that the keyboard, trackpad and power button are part of.

If you have the AC power adapter connected, and hold the four buttons for 10 secs, the charging light should change to green then back to orange to confirm the SMC was reset. Then wait 10-15 secs and press and hold the power button for up to 20 secs and see if it powers on.

C
Thanks again for the help, Cory.

I found this video of a guy replacing a capacitor on a 2008-2009 17" Macbook Pro, but the logic board looks completely different from mine, and I do not see a C7771 capacitor anywhere on my board to test with the multimeter. There are a couple of videos out there doing this sort of thing, and I was just wondering if this could be the problem with my A1296 17" Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help, Cory.

I found this video of a guy replacing a capacitor on a 2008-2009 17" Macbook Pro, but the logic board looks completely different from mine, and I do not see a C7771 capacitor anywhere on my board to test with the multimeter. There are a couple of videos out there doing this sort of thing, and I was just wondering if this could be the problem with my A1296 17" Macbook Pro.
I just realized that I need take out the entire logic board and flip it over to see the capacitor he's talking about

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah, I have seen those YouTube repair videos, but I do not recommend component-level repairs like that. Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers don't even do component-level repairs, as they just do logic board swaps and sent them back to Apple.

Without being able to see the MBP in person, there isn't any way to determine what the actual issue may be. Not sure if that would be the same repair for yours.

C

Ask a Question