Help! MacBook Pro (late 2011 - 13 inch) won't update software

Reaction score
My macbook pro has been neglected for the last few years and hasn't been updated for at least as long as that either. I have just started using it again but as the software is so outdated nothing really runs that well on it or at times not at all. Every time i follow the instructions online it just takes me to the app store which has no option to update, and when i go to the newest update on offer it says i can't download as my software is too old.

Please if anyone could help it would be much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
I wouldn't think that its age would affect the running of any Apps that you already have.

You need to install a more up to date version of MacOS in order to install any Apple updates. Which MacBook Pro(mid 2012, late 2012 etc etc) do you have?

Reaction score
I wouldn't think that its age would affect the running of any Apps that you already have.

You need to install a more up to date version of MacOS in order to install any Apple updates. Which MacBook Pro(mid 2012, late 2012 etc etc) do you have?

It is from late 2011

Reaction score
That will run MacOS 10.13, High Sierra. If you do a search in the App Store for MacOS you should find it and you can update if you wish. Make sure that you do a backup first, just incase.

Reaction score
That will run MacOS 10.13, High Sierra. If you do a search in the App Store for MacOS you should find it and you can update if you wish. Make sure that you do a backup first, just incase.

I have done that but now when I start up my computer it shows the white updating screen and the bar loads up to halfway then the computer crashes.

Having given up on it I tried to follow every tutorial online to reboot it, even factory reset, which it would not even let me do (a message saying “couldn’t unmount disk”).

Is there any saving this computer?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I have done that but now when I start up my computer it shows the white updating screen and the bar loads up to halfway then the computer crashes.

Having given up on it I tried to follow every tutorial online to reboot it, even factory reset, which it would not even let me do (a message saying “couldn’t unmount disk”).

Is there any saving this computer?
Hello,

-Can you provide additional information to identify the exact model/specs of your MBP?
-You did download and attempt to install High Sierra then?
-Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode while holding the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo? It may take a few minutes to fully startup.
-Do you know how much free space was left on the drive?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper, antivirus, etc. installed?
-What steps did you take to factory reset it?
-Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test?

This also could be related to a failing hard drive/SSD, or drive cable.

We'll see if we can identify the issue.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Can you provide additional information to identify the exact model/specs of your MBP?
-You did download and attempt to install High Sierra then?
-Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode while holding the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo? It may take a few minutes to fully startup.
-Do you know how much free space was left on the drive?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper, antivirus, etc. installed?
-What steps did you take to factory reset it?
-Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test?

This also could be related to a failing hard drive/SSD, or drive cable.

We'll see if we can identify the issue.

C
What is the Apple Hardware Test please and how to do it?

Ask a Question