Macbook Pro Cosmic Damage Cover Up Help

Reaction score
So I bought an MacBook Pro 13' mid 2009 model back around 8 months ago and sold it to my sister for like 100 bucks a couple months later. I recently picked up a job and got money together and purchased it back. I then went on eBay and bought an ssd, 2nd hard drive caddy and 8gb ram to max it out to get the most out of this 9 year old MacBook. I get all the parts and realize that 2 of the 10 screws are threaded out and cannot be unscrewed. I tried for an hour. Me being stupid, just pulled the back cover off. I dented the back cover on the 2 sides and the damage is extremely noticeable on the front of the MacBook and looks awful. The 2 screws that got damaged were the 2 front screws on the right and left of the Mac and cannot be screwed in anymore. If there is any case or anything that will still fit and cover up the damage would be great. I cannot stand to keep looking at the dents every time I use my Mac. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This this the white polycarbonate model with the gray rubber bottom, correct?

If it is just the bottom case, you should be able to purchase a new one. If it's actually the top case, that's a whole other issue, since that is a very involved replacement. You may be able to find a shell for it, but I do not recommend running it with it's actual bottom case in place.

Can you upload photos?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks. Sorry, I misread previously - obviously it is a aluminum unibody.

Yeah that will require both a bottom case and a top case w/keyboard. It's not a user-level repair, and will require the removal of everything, including the logic board, all internal components, and the LCD clamshell to replace the top case. It is VERY easy to cause further damage to the internals, if you are not certified to perform the repair.

At this point, I would recommend just buying a new/newer used Mac, due to the age of the machine. Those parts can easily run you a few hundred dollars, and it's really not worth the effort. Those models are nor vintage/obsolete, so you can't get parts from Apple or most Apple Authorized Service Providers. Also, its OS X compatibility has stopped with OS X 10.11 El Capitan, so you will find more and more apps and websites not being compatible/supported.

C

Ask a Question