Multi-colored cocentric circles when I turned my Macbook Pro on this morning

Reaction score
Hi, This is the first time is have asked a question. I have a 13" 2012 Macbook Pro with Mojave. I keep it updated. This morning when I started my Mac, it was grey and the little dashed line that looks like some sort of update was clicking along. When it completed that process it went to the log in screen. At the log in screen, the background was dark and all around the space where I normally put my password had multi-colored concentric circles radiating away from that space. I typed in my password, and then opened to the main screen. When it completed start up, my background was like "Little big Planet" (a kids game). I immediately shut it down and restarted my system. It restarted normally. I spent all day trying to figure out what it was. I downloaded AVG antivirus and didn't find anything. There was a strange file on my computer yesterday .#webloc (?). Does anyone know what it was or could what I should investigate further to find the answer. My kids just said my computer was trippin!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like it may have been running updates, and restored where it was/reopened the apps/windows before the restart. Maybe they were playing Little Big Planet when it restarted to apply the update. You may have seen the image of the web broswert at the login screen, as transparency is part of OS X/macOS.

Webloc files are simply shortcuts to websites, created by dragging the URL address of a website from the browser to the Desktop.

I wouldn't worry if things seem normal and you ran the scan. You can safely delete the webloc file.

C

Reaction score
I would suggest you do 2 things, to make sure everything is OK:

1. Download, install, and run the excellent program Malwarebytes, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

It does a very good job of detecting malware/adware.

2. Download and run the excellent anti-virus program ClamXAV, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

You can run the free trial. It does a more thorough job than Malwarebytes.

Reaction score
Thanks CC! I feel much better. Honestone I did download the malwarebytes and tried it out. I found one item - Spigot. I will try the other one another time.

Reaction score
Cool! But it might be good to run ClamXAV as soon as possible, especially given that AVG antivirus did not find anything.

Ask a Question