Can I set my Home Pod as a Multi-Output Device?

Reaction score
I just got a Home Pod. I opened Audio MIDI Setup on my Mac and created a Multi-Output Device. It's only option is "Built-in Output". Can I add my Home Pod as the 2nd device?

I can choose my Home Pod, or I can choose the speakers plugged into my Headphones jack. Or I can have iTunes go to both.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You can use AirPlay to output to multiple speakers without having to change anything. But, because the HomePod is slightly different than other Bluetooth speakers, I don't believe that will work. AirPlay 2 was recently released, and that adds the ability to stream to multiple HomePods and Apple TVs simultaneously, and to actually stream to two HomePods as a stereo pair.

Not sure about how a HomePod will work with Audio MIDI Setup as you stated though. I don't own a HomePod, so I have limited knowledge about how it works.

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have an Apple TV, nor multiple HomePods. I used to have speakers connected to an Air Port, but have moved those to my iMac, preferring to use my HomePod in my bedroom. I'm still experimenting with what my HomePod can or can't do.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I only added the bit about AirPlay 2 as extra information for future reference. ;)

Let us know if you have additional questions, or find a solution.

C

Ask a Question