MacBook Pro 2012 MAJOR ISSUES AND I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!

Reaction score
No rhyme or identifiable reason for this to keep happening.

MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
Macbook Pr (Retina, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core I7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics - Intel HD 4000 1536mb
15.4' Display - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB Graphics

1 - Randomly my CPU would start overheating and crash.
1a) It was due to mdsStore constantly running. I was unable to stop this using the typical methods like selecting folders and drives to prevent spotlight from indexing. I ended up having to completely disengage spotlight. Since then, the MDS Store issues have been resolved but spotlight is unusable. I am ok with this.

2 - My Mac will refuse to boot up CONSTANTLY! The keyboard will illuminate but no apple logo on the screen and screen remains black. It takes anywhere from 5 - 20 attempts at restarting the Mac for it to go through the startup process. Once it does startup it typically remains on and fully functional (outside of the spotlight feature being completely deactivated). I have tried resetting the ESM & other resets I've found online but still it fixes nothing. Below is the error I got today from when my Mac wouldn't boot and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this. I can't afford to buy another computer and really need this...... Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also included another crash report from August 19th that was generated when the Mac refused to restart or power on.It looks like the same exact issue but I can't figure it out.

Anonymous UUID: F854139A-D6A8-924E-9928-FA3472418675

Attachments

• Aug 19 Crash.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 187
  • October 15 Crash.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 183

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Those reports look like there may be an issue with the graphics circuits and/or logic board. There was an Apple Repair Extension Program for 2011-2013 MBPs with certain video issues, but it has long expired, and this may or may not be part of your issue.

Anonymous UUID is just the hardware's Universally Unique IDentifier, which all computers and portable devices have to identify them. The one you see if both of your crash reports is the UUID of your Mac.

-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-How much free space is left of the drive?
-Are you experiencing any other issues - freezing/hanging/etc.?
-Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test (AHT)?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Those reports look like there may be an issue with the graphics circuits and/or logic board. There was an Apple Repair Extension Program for 2011-2013 MBPs with certain video issues, but it has long expired, and this may or may not be part of your issue.

Anonymous UUID is just the hardware's Universally Unique IDentifier, which all computers and portable devices have to identify them. The one you see if both of your crash reports is the UUID of your Mac.

-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-How much free space is left of the drive?
-Are you experiencing any other issues - freezing/hanging/etc.?
-Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test (AHT)?

C

Thank you for your very detailed reply!

-Time machine backup - yes

- free space - 30 gigs

- No freezing or hanging issues. Just the intermittent power issues & the mdsStores overusing the CPU when I have spotlight enabled. This is disabled with system integrity protection having to be turned off to do so through terminal.

- I’ve not tried the apple hardware test but since you posted it, I will try now and post my results shortly.
Again -> thanks so much

Reaction score
Thank you for your very detailed reply!

-Time machine backup - yes

- free space - 30 gigs

- No freezing or hanging issues. Just the intermittent power issues & the mdsStores overusing the CPU when I have spotlight enabled. This is disabled with system integrity protection having to be turned off to do so through terminal.

- I’ve not tried the apple hardware test but since you posted it, I will try now and post my results shortly.
Again -> thanks so much

- Tried hardware test - it says unable to run diagnostics - attempting to run from recovery > than it shows a globe with contact Apple support.

Attachments

• E63C73D0-DC40-4CC2-924B-5AB457C8ADB2.jpeg
    E63C73D0-DC40-4CC2-924B-5AB457C8ADB2.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 178
Reaction score
I just tried to force internet diagnostics using option+D and This is what I got

Attachments

• 0F3224F9-9A5B-4169-9A1A-DF43159DA150.jpeg
    0F3224F9-9A5B-4169-9A1A-DF43159DA150.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 209

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Those messages make it look more like a logic board issue, since it cannot run the diagnostics. Unfortunately, that model is Vintage, so Apple doesn't repair them any longer. You might be able to find a third-party Apple Authorized Service Provider that may be able to, if they have access to the parts.

I wonder if you do get it to startup, if changing the graphics setting in  > System Preferences... > Energy Saver > Automatic graphics switching will help. If it is checked, uncheck it, or vice versa, then restart.

C

Reaction score
Yea that stinks......

It starts up no problem today.... it has a mind of its own now. Seems to not boot only when I have something important to do.

I believe I tried that at an earlier date with the auto graphics switching.

I may have to look for an authorized repair facility as you suggest.

thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Ask a Question