Macbook pro 13 mid 2012 not starting up and gives repeated chime sound

Reaction score
Whenever I bootup my mac pro 2012, the screen turns white with a chime and chime sounds repeatedly until I shutdown the mac by pressing the power key for 10 secs.

I have replaced my RAM and hard disk with a working mac, it didn't make any difference.

I have already reset SMC by disconnecting thebattery and pressing the power button for 5 secs.

I couldn't reset NVRAM because after the chime when I press the required key combination, it keeps on repeating the chime without responding to the key press.

Have already tried long pressing D, long pressing control + R.

I have tried booting my mac removing my hard disk and attaching a pendrive with ubuntu on it (this pen drive worked on another mac).

I am a student right now and am trying to avoid any extra expenditure ( like replacing the logic board).

Please suggest how do I diagnose my laptop.

Reaction score
First, what exact OS are you using?

Secondly, what do you mean by "I have replaced my RAM and hard disk with a working mac"? That is a confusing statement. Replacing RAM from another, working Mac makes sense (assuming it is the correct type), but not the hard disk.

Third, have you been making backups to an external drive?

Answering those questions in an accurate manner will be very useful, so that we can help you. Hopefully, you are using an OS that is later than Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8), and that the Recovery HD partition is there. Also, do you have access (via a friend) to another working Mac?

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. My OS is Mavericks
2. I replaced both RAM and hard disk as I thought there could be a problem with the OS on the hard drive. Anyway I installed the not-working mac's Hard disk and RAM to the working one and it booted up normally.
3. I did not make any backup. But I have taken all the data important to me by attaching hard disk to another computer and I don't mind formatting it. I dont know if there is a recovery partition or not.

4. Yes my roommate has the same mac.

Reaction score
This link discusses the Recovery Partition, and what it contains:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Once you boot to that, you can try and run Disk Utility to repair your internal drive.

Unfortunately, given that the machine still does not work with another drive and RAM, but the original drive and RAM work fine in another machine, your logic board could be bad, and the only cure would be to get it replaced (from what I can surmise). Maybe someone else can possibly offer another solution, but to me, it is looking somewhat "bleak".

Sorry for the bad news.

Ask a Question