MacBook Pro mid 2010 slow when opening and closing apps

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

right after upgrading to Sierra, I'm having issues with saving and closing of documents (TextEdit, Microsoft Word, etc.). After I hit the red cross to close and save I have to wait 55-65 seconds before the saving window pops up. I've upgraded the disk to a 250GB SSD - 1TB HD combination last year (currently 40% full) and the computer is generally extremely fast (40s of startup time). I've tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC but with no luck.

Do you have any suggestion?

Andrea

These are my specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)

2,4 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MBIntel HD Graphics 288 MB

Reaction score
I have both a late 2012 Mac Mini (with a Core i7 processor) and a mid 2013 13" Mac Book Air (with a core i5 processor), and after upgrading to Sierra from El Capitan, Sierra is "somewhat" slower, at times, in terms of booting up and shutting down, but I don't have issues saving files. (I have only 4 gig of Ram on each of my Macs, and each of my Macs have SSDs, 256 gig inside the Mini, and 251 gig inside the Air).

A couple of things we need to know:

1. Are you using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.2? If not, you can get the OS 10.12.2 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1900?locale=en_US

1. How did you upgrade to Sierra? Did you basically do the upgrade "in place", that is, just having Sierra overwrite whatever OS you previously had? And if that is the case, what OS were you previously using, and did you have the issues you are having now with that prior OS?

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? And if so, what software do you use?

3. Are you making backups to an external device?

4. Do you have the latest versions of whatever third party software that you use?

You mentioned Microsoft Word. Is that part of Office 2011, or Office 2016? I use Word, Excel, and Outlook as part of Office 2016, and I always insure to have the latest version. In fact, version 15.30 came out last week.

Also, when I "upgraded" from El Capitan to Sierra, I did not upgrade "in place". What I did is after booting each of my Macs from their respective SuperDuper! backups, I used Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal SSD on each machine, then did a fresh, "virgin" installation of Sierra, and finally used Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from that SuperDuper! backup. Of course when I first did this, I insured that my critical third party software (6 products) were compatible with Sierra.

Finally, I had previously read (actually just browsed) issues with Fusion Drives on Macs (sounds like that is the setup you have). Here is a link to the results of a google search I just did for "Issues with Fusion Drives on Macs":

https://www.google.com/search?q=Iss...ome..69i57.11627j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

Ask a Question