MacBook Pro mid 2010, OSX Sierra, randomly crashes

Reaction score
Hello,

My MacBook Pro, mid 2010, running OSX Sierra, randomly crashes when I'm browsing heavy flash sites, and also when watching videos.

My latest crash report is attached. Can someone help, please.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• panic2.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 414
Reaction score
Need more information:

1. Which version of Sierra are you running? The latest is V10.12.6.

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

3. For your browsing, what browser do you use? Have you tried another one?

4. For watching videos, and assuming you mean "stand alone", ie, not while browsing, what video player are you using? The best one available is VLC.

5. How much free space is on your internal hard disk?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Need more information:

1. Which version of Sierra are you running? The latest is V10.12.6.

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

3. For your browsing, what browser do you use? Have you tried another one?

4. For watching videos, and assuming you mean "stand alone", ie, not while browsing, what video player are you using? The best one available is VLC.

5. How much free space is on your internal hard disk?

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

1. I'm using Sierra v10.12.6

2. I've had the "crashing" problem for a while, and yes, I have done disk cleanup/maintanence repairs more than a few times, but that did not help.

3. I use Safari, Firefox. Chrome crashes my system more than the other browsers.

4. I use VLC for videos. Watching .swf or .flv videos via browser almost always crashes my system.

5. I have plenty of free space on my 500 GB internal hard disk - 325 GB free

I look forward to any assistance you may be able to provide.

Thank you.

Omer

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that. I forgot to ask you a few more questions:

1. Are you making backups to an external device? That is so, so critical. If you (hopefully) are, what software do you use?

2. How did you "arrive" at Sierra? That is, when you upgraded, did you upgrade "in place", ie, have the initial version of Sierra basically "over write" the OS you previously had?

3. When you did disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs:

A. What software/tools did you use?

B. Did you do those tasks in an isolated manner, ie, booting your Mac from another "source"? Most folks rely on booting to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, and running Disk Utility from there. That's fine. Myself I do a good amount of disk cleanup on my own. I also use the excellent freeware program called Onyx. And I use the excellent commercial program Tech Tool Pro (which has an eDrive feature, akin to the Recovery HD partition created by a clean installation of the Mac OS). Finally, in removing an application, I use the freeware program AppCleaner, which gets rid of just about all the associated files of the application (besides of course the application itself).

4. What other third party software do you use?

From what you are describing, and especially since you have similar issues with the venerable program VLC (thus not using the internet to view videos; I use VLC also), it might be a good time to do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of Sierra, OS 10.12.6. However, if after such an installation you want to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from a backup, that might include whatever is causing your issues. Do you have a lot of data files on your machine that you absolutely need? Also, depending on which third party apps you use, if you don't have many data files (and can "live" without them), and if the number of third party apps is small, you could just "migrate"/copy your account "stuff" from the backup, and then after restarting your machine, install each app one by one (Firefox, Google Chrome, VLC, etc.).

Ask a Question