Screen Issues MacBook Pro Mid 2010

e10

Reaction score
Hello all. Thanks beforehand to anyone taking the time to read this. I have a 15" MacBook Pro Mid 2010 with a 2.7 GHz i7 and 4GB of 1067 DDR3 RAM with the Intel HD graphics 288 MB. Yesterday, I began having problems with my screen that seem to be movement based, which makes me think that it may be a problem with the cable connecting the screen to the logic board. But what do I know? Basically, my laptop screen will randomly "glitch out" for lack of a better term (the screen looks abnormal and will sometimes flash rapidly) before shutting down or giving the dreaded three beeps. It seems like if I set my laptop on a desk or other stationary object, I can use it without issue, but as soon as I have it on my lap, the problems begin. One other possibly relevant detail is that I have had RAM issues in the past. There are two ram slots but I can only use one. Even if I put a brand new ram card in the second slot, I will almost immediately get the three beeps and it won't work properly. So I only have one slot with 4GB in use currently. I know that the three beeps usually indicate a ram issue but I have never previously had any issues with the screen like I am having at the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Did you also try to remove the "old/stock" Ram card and replaced it with a new one? If so, did the 3 beeps go away?

e10

Reaction score
Did you also try to remove the "old/stock" Ram card and replaced it with a new one? If so, did the 3 beeps go away?
I did, I ordered two 4GB segate ram cards, and the problem went away, but only if I have one in the “good” slot. The other slot will no longer accept any card. So my computer only has 4GB currently.

Reaction score
It looks like this is your Mac:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...5-2.4-aluminum-15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

That states that your machine can accommodate up to 8 gig of Ram. But, from what you are saying, that would indicate that the other RAM slot is bad. You most likely will need to have that slot/circuitry "surrounding" that slot analyzed and repaired (if you want the other 4 gig of RAM to be recognized).

By the way, with the new 4 gig RAM stick, are the issues with your screen gone?

e10

Reaction score
The thing is, the ram problems happened to me in around March or April of 2015, that’s when I replaced it, and since then I haven’t had any trouble until the problem I currently have started. Do you think it’s the same issue again? That I need to replace the ram yet again? Or could it be some other issue. There really seems to only be a problem when I pick up or move the MacBook while it’s running.

Reaction score
So, just so I understand, the 3 beep issue first happened almost 3 years ago. Is that when you purchased the 8 gig of Seagate Ram, but only 4 gig was recognized? Now you have the 3 beep issue again, along with the screen "shaking". And the "shaking" only happens when you either pick up or move it while it's running?

One would think the shaking issue is separate from the 3 beeps, but it's hard to say. Also, I wonder if one of the original Seagate Ram sticks was bad. When you initially got them and installed them, and only 4 gig was recognized, did you swap them to see if the same was true?

e10

Reaction score
Yes, the first instance of the three beep issue was three years ago. And yes, when I purchased the two 4GB ram cards, both functioned in one slot and neither functioned in the second one. So instead of resolving the issue at the time, I decided to just live with 4GB of ram and that was that. Up until a few days ago. You understand correctly. Whenever the machine is moved, albeit slightly, it will shut down. And not 100% of the time, but occasionally the three beep issue will accompany the shutdown or the laptop will not startup but will give the beeps. But upon setting it on a solid surface the problem resolves itself.

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that clearly stated update. It seems, unfortunately, that there are some circuit related and/or connection issues inside your machine. What is even more difficult to get a handle on is why the 3 beeps persisted from 3 years ago, after you replaced the Ram. And given that the 3 beep issue continues to this day could "possibly" have something to do with the shutting down of the machine with just some slight movement. But that is "grasping at straws". If you want to keep the machine for a few more years, it might be best to have it looked and repaired (assuming it can be repaired). Other than that, maybe buy another Mac.

e10

Reaction score
Damn. I was afraid to hear that but hey, this is a laptop nearing its eighth year of operation, so I feel like I can’t really complain. Apart from the ram problem it’s been great. Around the time I had ram problems I also swapped out the HDD for a SSD and it’s been a great machine, excellent really. I will happily use it for another five years or so if the repair ends up being reasonably priced. I’m a little hesitant to buy a brand new MacBook Pro, I’m not entirely fond of the direction Apple has gone in the recent past with the whole “dongle-book” approach, ignoring the price tag. But either way thank you for giving your diagnosis based on a vague, non-specific problem. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean about the ports/attachments on the newer Mac laptops. It is for that exact reason that I recently purchased the latest version of the 13" MacBook Air (mid 2017 model), with a 252 gig SSD. I have a number of required external devices with USB 3.0 connectivity, and at least the MacBook Air still has 2 USB ports. I really don't need the Retina screen.

The machine was recently on sale, $200 off, at Best Buy, and thus I snagged one. I was able to sell my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air (again with a 252 gig SSD) for $450, so that worked out pretty well.

Ask a Question