Receive mail, wake screen

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity is it possible to get a Mac OS to wake the screen when e-mail is received? In Thunderbird, the dock icon gets a little flag on it (I think that's called "badging the app icon"), but it would be nice to just wake the screen.

Reaction score
You only want this to happen when the machine is in "Sleep" mode, correct? I also use Thunderbird, but I do not have it in my dock (its icon, along with ones for Firefox, Chrome and Opera are in a folder on my desktop entitled "Internet Apps").

But it's an interesting idea. Did you look in the forums on the site for Thunderbird and/or do a google search for such a concept?

Reaction score
My Mac is never really in sleep mode. But I do have the Energy Saver set to put the display to sleep every five minutes. If the display is asleep when mail comes, I can't see the app icon get "badged". Yeah, I'll take it to the TB forums.

Reaction score
OK, if I set notifications properly, when I get an e-mail and my screen is asleep, a you-have-e-mail notification banner pops up in the upper right hand corner. That would be nice, but the banner disappears in a few seconds. Now I *can* adjust the length of time those banners hang around, but I don't want it to be ridiculously long, because when I'm using my screen, I don't want these notification banners cluttering it up.

So I guess another way of asking the question is whether you can set it up so a "notification" awakens the display.

Ask a Question