Detecting screen resolution issues

Reaction score
Hello. I am having at least one issue connecting my computer to my TV. I will explain both issues. A fix for problem two would make problem one irrelavent but I'll be happy just to fix problem one for the time being. Since the only thing that has recently changed that probably has caused my problems was replacing some hardware, so I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

Problem 1: (a result of my genius attemp at fixing problem 2)
I am having display issues with connecting my Samsung TV to my Mac Mini. Currently my Mac detects display at 1024x768, which is not what my TV's resolution is. Without getting too much into that issue right now, Ill focus on what happened while I was trying to fix that, resulting on my current problem. Detecting display did not work, so I tried flicking through the available resolutions in display preferences. I switched from 1024x768 to something like 800x600 I think, now my TV shows the message 'Mode Not Supported: The resolution is not supported on this TV. Please change the resolution'. Now my computer is running, still conected, but I am stuck with a black screen and that message. I cannot get back to 1024x768 because I am stuck on 800x600. Is there a way to manuelly reset it back to a resolution, any resolution, that will gel with my TV. I used to have LetMeIn intalled but not anymore, I recently reinstalled OS hoping it would clean the computer up and maybe fix the display issue. Too bad, I could have had prob 1 fixed.

Problem 2: (my original issue)
My Mac no longer displays the correct screen resolution on my Samsung TV after replacing the logic board (661-4446, mac mini 1.83ghz intel core 2 duo) and another piece of hardware (S1490LL/A). It used to correctly display it at 1920x1080, but now it will only display it at 1024x768, which is no good, everything is blurry and a little distorted. I am using a Mac Mini with Mac OS 10.6 and connected to the TV with a VGA cable. I have tried using SwithResX, I’ve reset the SMC, trashed windowserver.plist, and have had zero luck with any of that (all suggestions I encountered through searching google).

I do not have much experience with this sort of issue, any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I should provide any other specifications for my mac or TV.

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.19f2
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001FF34480D1

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x27a2
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
SwitchResX4 - Unknown Monitor:
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

TV is a Samsung model LN46D630M3F
Video

46'' Screen Size
1,920 x 1,080 Resolution
High Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Wide Color Enhancer

General Feature

Allshare (Powered by DLNA)
Smart Phone Remote support
Wireless LAN Adapter Support
ConnectShare™
MovieAnynet +
(HDMI-CEC)Auto Channel Search

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Let's get the display working again before we tackle the other issues.

Try this:

1. Hold Control key down and press the Eject key.
2. Hit Enter - this will shutdown the Mac mini.
3. Reset PRAM - Hit the power button on the mini and immediately hold Command-Option-P-R down simultaneously until you hear the second startup chime.

That should reset the display resolution to the default and allow you to see the Mac mini again on the TV.

Let us know if this is successful and we will go from there.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 wireless keyboards and one that connects via usb but types 3s and 4s instead of ps and rs, so none are capable of doing that apparently. Will get another keyboard asap. Thanks again

Edit

Is there away to connect remotely to it without having something like Letmein set up?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Did the first two steps get the Mac mini powered off?

The wireless keyboard should work...try tapping the spacebar to "wake up" the wireless keyboard and holding the Command-Option-P-R combo down as you hit the power button. Remember to keep holding all four keys down until you hear the second chime.

You can connect remotely via Apple Remote Desktop or Screen Sharing from another Mac. However, it had to be turned on via the Sharing preference pane.
C

Reaction score
no, I could not power off or do the Command-Option-P-R combo with either my wireless macantosh keyboard or another wireless keyboard I have and mostly use. I borrowed a friends keyboard and connected via USB and did the Command-Option-P-R combo on start up and it worked. Not only did it allow me to see my screen again, it actually displays the proper screen resolution of my TV. It fixed both my problems. I seriously cannot thank you enough, you were extremely helpful and I wish you a happy holidays!!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Not a problem...glad it is sorted.

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

C

Ask a Question