Screenshot freezing after Mojave installation

Reaction score
After installing Mojave, Screenshot worked fine. Now, 10 days later I have a major problem with it:

If I use it, when opening up the normal 'location area' appears; when I have adjusted it to the area required and hit Enter, the footprint of the 'location area' is visible against a darkened background and this footprint and background won't move.
I can operate the content shown on the darkened screen, but am unable to remove the footprint and return the screen to normal.
The only way I seem to be able to recover is to either restart or log out and back in.

Has anyone any experience of this or any suggestions on how to overcome it please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Are you using the bulit-in screenshot function of Mojave, or a third-party app like Screenshot Plus?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory

I'm using the built-in function.
Strangely enough though, if I use Cmd-Sift-5 to do it there is no problem, and it works fine.
I've since removed the screenshot icon from the dock, and am developing my 3 finger skills.
I did notice initially that when operating from the dock with the problematic action, the floating index didn't appear?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...strange.

I don't have a Mac here with Mojave to troubleshoot currently. I can try this week to see if I can replicate the issue.

C

Reaction score
After installing Mojave, Screenshot worked fine. Now, 10 days later I have a major problem with it:

If I use it, when opening up the normal 'location area' appears; when I have adjusted it to the area required and hit Enter, the footprint of the 'location area' is visible against a darkened background and this footprint and background won't move.
I can operate the content shown on the darkened screen, but am unable to remove the footprint and return the screen to normal.
The only way I seem to be able to recover is to either restart or log out and back in.

Has anyone any experience of this or any suggestions on how to overcome it please?
Where

Reaction score
The same thing has started happening to me, it has worked for a year but within the last two weeks it would freeze and darken the portion of the screen that was not being captured. Nothing would lighten it back to normal, I have to restart.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

You could try pressing the Esc key to see if it "releases" the screen. Also, try pressing the Return key or clicking the mouse to see if it takes the screenshot. There are some other new keystrokes in the article linked below:

How to take a screenshot in MacOS Mojave

C

Reaction score
I wish it were that easy. I tried all of the suggested keystrokes, Then I Cmd/Opt/Esc/ and proceeded to Force quit every working Application, I have to restart!

I want my "Grab" back : ((

Reaction score
I wish it were that easy. I tried all of the suggested keystrokes, Then I Cmd/Opt/Esc/ and proceeded to Force quit every working Application, I have to restart!

I want my "Grab" back : ((

Update: I discovered that if I select "capture selected portion" and NOT "record selected portion", everything works fine. I'm happy with that.

Ask a Question