Parts of the app window turn black (see attached screenshot)

Reaction score
Hi,

So I've been having a recurrent problem with parts of a running app turning black. This happens both with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X, and is accompanied with computer "hanging" (or lagging) and forcing me to restart the computer in order to be able to use it normally. Notably, any other app I start after this happens also dispalys the same problem. Could it be related to the CPU? I am suspecting that it isn't exactly related to the those two apps. They are, however, the only apps that I run that are "demanding" for the computer (the other two mainly being safari and Itunes) and are thus unmasking some underlying issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 270

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which versions of iMovie and Final Cut Pro X?

That looks to me more like a graphics card issue than a CPU issue.

C

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you.

I'm sorry for the vague descriptions. I was unable to provide more details as I was posting it remotely on behalf of a family member, without any personal access to the computer. It's an iMac from Early 2008 (only "custom" spec is 3GB RAM), running Yosemite. Having had the chance to visit my family and taking a closer look into the issues at hand, it does seem as if the graphics card simply isn't good enough to run them, since it's not OpenCL Capable. However, is there a way to bypass the issue? Given that Apple removed the requirement of having a graphics card with the aforementioned capability, it seems as though the app should be able to run properly.

EDIT: The version of iMovie is 10.0.6. As for FCP X, it's 10.2.2.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
None that I know of. If it's a 20" Early 2008, then it isn't OpenCL capable, and may run those apps, but will experience issues. If it's a 24", then it should be OpenCL capable and it may be a different issue.

C

Reaction score
Yeah, I have confirmed that it's not OpenCL capable. I'm not at familiar with iMovie myself, but what I was hinting at is if there's a way to reduce the performance burden from the app, which then could prevent the screen glitches from returning. Of course, running an older version would be another option, but it seems as though the newer version introduced significant improvements, which is why I'm asking.

EDIT: Given that it's an issue related to the app itself, I thought it would be more fitting to create a new thread in a different section.

Last edited:

Ask a Question