Apple Mail v 3.6

Reaction score
HI - can I use Apple Mail v 3.6 on my IMac? The email client that came with the computer, v 9.3 sucks. I really
like v 3.6

Thanks,

Earl
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Hi Honestone, thanks for your reply. I have a 24" IMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 . I upgraded from a Mac G5, which I loved because everything was so much simpler. I can't get used to Mac Mail v 9.3 and am hoping I can use v 3.6 instead. If not, I'm going to buy a Mac G5 just for the email.

Any suggestions? As you can tell, I don't know anything about computers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

From the version numbers, the iMac came with OS X 10.11 El Capitan, which had Mail version 9.3. Mail 3.6 is from a really old version of OS X...I would guess is from OS X 10.5 Leopard or so. Unfortunately, you cannot run earlier versions of the Mail app in later versions of OS X/macOS. In addition, there isn't any way to even install it.

What sort of issue are you having that would be resolved by running the older version? Maybe we can smooth out the transition.

C

Reaction score
Besides Cory's excellent (and informative) post above, do you have to use Apple's Mail program? Myself I have always used a third party (ie, non-Apple) one, and most recently am using (and very, very satisfied) with Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Hi Cory, missed your nice response before. Thanks.

re: Problem with v 9.3? I can't find anything and don't like the format. 3.6 was setup just right. I guess I'm stuck with v 9.3.

Reaction score
Is there is something specific to Apple's Mail program that "requires" you to use it? Myself, I have no specific, special needs with EMails, and thus Thunderbird works well for me.

Ask a Question