iMac 2010 21.5in Peculiar Black Screen

Reaction score
The iMac flashes a white screen whilst booting up, then goes black (no apple logo). Then I wait for the approximate time the log-in page is available 1-2mins (still black screen) and tap the power button semi-repeatedly whilst pressing a part of the desktop (shown in photo) that edges out slightly, due to a poor transport via suitcase when traveling out of state, has worked for 2 years since then up until now. The log-in page then shows up for a brief 1-4 seconds as I struggle to login, which if even I do so successfully, the problem persists.

My friend said the LCD cable may be loose and is going to come take a look at it later tonight and suggested to use a hairdryer as well as some hardened plastic openers from an ifixit kit. But K've only seen people use specially made suction cups online to take apart their mac- should I play it safe and spend the extra money to go to an Apple professional? What may be the issue other than loose LCD? Pls help, my stupid self kept my resume only available on my desktop instead of google drive. Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• received_635503280202579.jpeg
    received_635503280202579.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 291

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be a loose cable, but I do not recommend opening the iMac up if you don't have the experience. Internal components are easily damaged without the proper precautions.

If you have a local Apple Authorized Service Provider, I would recommend that, Or a local Apple Store may fix it quickly and cheaply if it's just a loose cable. But, that particular location isn't anywhere near the display cable connection - all that is there is a speaker and fan assembly.

C

Ask a Question