Mid-2010 imac 27" hard drive replacement

Reaction score
Hello all,

My 1TB hard drive recently decided it's had its final day (for mid-2010 iMac 27" display). Since it is out of warranty, I took it to my nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider where they charged me $50 to tell me that yes, indeed my hard drive was dead.

I decided instead of paying all the labor fees etc. that I would do it myself.

This is a multi-part question:

1- I just want another 1TB hard drive that is similar to what the stock one is. I'm mainly designing and not a gamer. Is buying a refurbished drive ok to do and what's a recommended model? I was looking here for one: https://www.serversupply.com/HARD DRIVES/SATA-II/1TB-7200RPM/

2- Do I need a thermal sensor in addition to the hdd?
I've read that the stock apple drives have an internal thermal sensor and all 3rd party drives need a separate part or else the fan will continuously run (seen here): https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

3- I've also heard there are certain iMac models that are trickier than others to do the install. Does anyone know if the mid-2010 is one of those?

I realize this is a lot of questions! Is it worth the trouble to just suck it up and pay to have a service provider do it? I've chatted with Apple support multiple times asking for help and all they want to do it just point me to where the nearest service providers are. I can not get any help they just send me in circles or avoid answering questions since my computer is an older model.

Any and all help appreciated. Been down the internet rabbit hole trying to figure this out.
Thanks!

Reaction score
OK, a couple of things.

First, you should be able to find a new 1 TB, 7200 rpm hard drive. When I was using HDDs, I always had the best success with ones made by Seagate. I suspect they will be about $50 to $60.

Secondly, is this your iMac?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...e-i5-2.8-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

Third, assuming that is your machine, here are detailed instructions about5 installing anew drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2390+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8919

There is no mention of a thermal sensor, but apparently you'll need a Universal Drive Adapter.

How do you plan of getting that new drive ready to use in your iMac? Hope fully you have a recent backup.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I wouldn't recommend trying the hard drive replacement repair yourself. It isn't a super difficult repair, but internal components can easily be damaged if you don't have any experience. Most Apple Authorized Service Providers can do that replacement quickly and reasonably inexpensively.

If you let us know the closest big city you live near, we can provide some service providers that you can call.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory, for that. Yeah, iMacs are definitely a challenge to try and repair.

Reaction score
Hello all,

My 1TB hard drive recently decided it's had its final day (for mid-2010 iMac 27" display). Since it is out of warranty, I took it to my nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider where they charged me $50 to tell me that yes, indeed my hard drive was dead.

1- I just want another 1TB hard drive that is similar to what the stock one is. I'm mainly designing and not a gamer. Is buying a refurbished drive ok to do and what's a recommended model? I was looking here for one: https://www.serversupply.com/HARD DRIVES/SATA-II/1TB-7200RPM/

I've read that the stock apple drives have an internal thermal sensor and all 3rd party drives need a separate part or else the fan will continuously run (seen here): https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

3- I've also heard there are certain iMac models that are trickier than others to do the install. Does anyone know if the mid-2010 is one of those?

I realize this is a lot of questions! Is it worth the trouble to just suck it up and pay to have a service provider do it? I've chatted with Apple support multiple times asking for help and all they want to do it just point me to where the nearest service providers are. I can not get any help they just send me in circles or avoid answering questions since my computer is an older model.

Any and all help appreciated. Been down the internet rabbit hole trying to figure this out.
Thanks!

katlin ,
why not go to an external hd /ssd and circumvent the repair costs.....
d

Reaction score
In addition to replacing your internal hard drive, you should pop for a USB-powered external drive. Seagate makes such drives in an enclosure little larger than a smartphone. Then use Drive Utility to GUID-format the drive and create a couple of logical volumes. Once that's done, use a cloner product such as SuperDuper to clone your internal drive to one of the logical volumes. The cloner will create a bootable image, which means you can boot from your external drive whenever you wish/need to.

You should then schedule (or perform manually) a minimum weekly clone to minimize the amount of data loss in the event of either hard disk failing. This is a recovery solution, not a backup solution - use Time Machine for that, and point it to the other logical volume you created earlier.

My Mac Mini has a 1TB internal HDD, and I have a 2TB GTech external HDD connected via USB. I created a logical volume on it the same size as the internal HDD, and another logical volume for Time Machine to use. If the internal HDD fails, just boot from the external hard disk clone image, restore your work from the Time Machine volume, and you can use your computer until you get the internal hard HDD replaced. Once the new internal HDD is installed, just reverse clone from your external disk, which should be up to date if you restored from Time Machine to it after booting from the external HDD.

Aside from the obvious advantage of recoverability, this allows you a safe upgrade path, because if you install the next version of OS X on your internal HDD and it has problems, or you find that some software you were using doesn't work properly, you can always use the external drive until you get things configured/fixed/updated on the internal drive.

Word of warning: if you implement this solution, use a USB-3 capable drive. USB-2 will work, but you will see a performance lag, particularly with disk I/O requests.

Belt and suspenders? You betcha. I do not start using a new computer, Apple or Windows, until I have an external HDD solution in place and tested.

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks!

Hello Kaitlin.

I recently replaced the HD in my 2008 - 24" iMac with a new 960GB, solid state, SATA drive with the aid of a series of on line videos available from places such as Other World Computing. Although the drive is pricy, it improved my system's performance 1000 fold. I also purchased the drive (and an adapter, and the tool kit) from OWC and they provided excellent tech support. Have a look at their video(s) and determine if you (or some-one you know) can do the work yourself. I'm certainly no computer guru, but all totaled I completed the task in about 2 hours. Key to the work is dealing with a reputable supplier, then: (1) View the videos (2) Be grounded, and ground yourself to the metal frame of the computer to remove any potential electrical charge. Remove any potential for static electricity. (3) Be organized - layout your parts as you disassemble the instrument so you know where they go back. (4) Take you time and keep things neat and orderly. (5) Watch for and clean off finger-prints on the back side of the glass and on the LCD. You don't want to have to open up the system to remove fingerprints once you're done. AND, If after watching the videos you still don't feel comfortable, have the work done by a professional. Good luck!

Reaction score
Yeah, an SSD is definitely the way to go! When I replaced the slow, 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD that was inside my late 2012 Mac Mini with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, the performance improvement was also 1000 fold! It was like the machine had a new life!

Reaction score
Yeah, an SSD is definitely the way to go! When I replaced the slow, 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD that was inside my late 2012 Mac Mini ...<SNIP> ... It was like the machine had a new life!

I'm sure it did! Particularly since you upgraded a 2012 Model, whereas I upgrade a machine made in 2008. Now if only I can figure out what the bugs are preventing the drive from booting normally.

Reaction score
OK, a couple of things.

First, you should be able to find a new 1 TB, 7200 rpm hard drive. When I was using HDDs, I always had the best success with ones made by Seagate. I suspect they will be about $50 to $60.

Secondly, is this your iMac?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...e-i5-2.8-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

Third, assuming that is your machine, here are detailed instructions about5 installing anew drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2390+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8919

There is no mention of a thermal sensor, but apparently you'll need a Universal Drive Adapter.

How do you plan of getting that new drive ready to use in your iMac? Hope fully you have a recent backup.

I highly recommend you do a little shopping with Other World Computing (macsales.com). I've dealt with them for years and am extremely satisfied with everything about them.

I'd also suggest you consider buying a solid state drive. No moving parts and they're BLAZING fast!

If you buy a SSD, you'll need an adapter bracket since your iMac came with a 3.5" drive, and all the SSDs I've seen are 2.5".

Not only can OWC sell you any drive you want, but they can supply you with all the tools you need to do the replacement yourself. On top of that, they have excellent instructional videos on guiding you through doing the whole thing on your own.

I replaced my iMac's drive with a SSD, and if you take your time, follow the video instructions, you can do it. I chose their Mercury 3G 480 GB SSD, and this machine boots in less than 30 seconds. Applications launch much faster as well.

My iMac has a Firewire 800 port, and I also purchased a 1 TB "On the Go" SATA external drive which has two Firewire ports and one USB 3.0 port and is bus powered (an external power supply is optional, but necessary if you try to power more than one device from this drive).

Reaction score
Yeah, SSDs are more expensive than HDDs, but the prices are considerably lower now than they were just a year ago, and they're going to get cheaper with time. My 480 GB SSD cost me $214 with free shipping.

I also recommend the NewerTech Voyager S3 dock. It will accommodate 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs and will also handle SSDs. I think I paid about $30 for the dock, where I parked a 1 TB 2.5" Seagate and also use it for a 500 GB Maxtor HDD.

Reaction score
Yeah, SSD prices are definitely dropping. Today, Best Buy has a 480 gig SanDisk SSD on sale for $139.99:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandis...ata-solid-state-drive/1160024.p?skuId=1160024

Looks like a "decent" choice. I prefer Samsung SSDs, and in fact I have 4 of them: a Samsung 256 gig 840 Pro inside my Mac Mini, two Samsung 512 gig 850 Pro SSDs inside separate, nice and slim Orico enclosures, and a 252 gig Samsung 840 EVO that came with my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. I am more than pleased with the performance of each drive.

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks!

The existing thermal sensor can be "re-used." There should be enough residual adhesive to stick to the new drive quite nicely, provided you are careful in removing it from your old drive.

Reaction score
Yeah, SSD prices are definitely dropping. Today, Best Buy has a 480 gig SanDisk SSD on sale for $139.99:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandis...ata-solid-state-drive/1160024.p?skuId=1160024

Looks like a "decent" choice. I prefer Samsung SSDs, and in fact I have 4 of them: a Samsung 256 gig 840 Pro inside my Mac Mini, two Samsung 512 gig 850 Pro SSDs inside separate, nice and slim Orico enclosures, and a 252 gig Samsung 840 EVO that came with my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. I am more than pleased with the performance of each drive.

I tend to avoid anything with the name Samsung on it since I'm a superstitious cuss and because of their feud with Apple. Yeah, I thing Samsung makes good products, but I don't own any stock in Samsung, while Apple is financing my retirement!

That said, can you comment on the quality/durability of SanDisk products? I have a lot of their flash drives, but I wasn't aware they made SSDs, but it makes sense they would.

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory, for that. Yeah, iMacs are definitely a challenge to try and repair.

iMac upgrades can be challenging. Removing and replacing the display is the touchiest part. Using the proper tools cannot be stressed enough!

Reaction score
I tend to avoid anything with the name Samsung on it since I'm a superstitious cuss and because of their feud with Apple. Yeah, I thing Samsung makes good products, but I don't own any stock in Samsung, while Apple is financing my retirement!

That said, can you comment on the quality/durability of SanDisk products? I have a lot of their flash drives, but I wasn't aware they made SSDs, but it makes sense they would.

It is ironic that Appel keeps using Samsung SSDs inside their machines, and yet there is the "phone" feud with Apple. But their SSDs have been highly rated for quite some time. (We also have 6 other Samsung products inside our place: 2 TVs, and 4 appliances).

I cannot comment on SanDisk SSDs, as I have no experience with them. Like you, though, I have some SanDisk Flash Drives, and they work fine. Maybe you should search for reviews on SanDisk SSDs. I had no issue finding numerous reviews of various Samsung SSDs (along with their TVs and appliances).

Reaction score
It is ironic that Appel keeps using Samsung SSDs inside their machines, and yet there is the "phone" feud with Apple. But their SSDs have been highly rated for quite some time. (We also have 6 other Samsung products inside our place: 2 TVs, and 4 appliances).

I cannot comment on SanDisk SSDs, as I have no experience with them. Like you, though, I have some SanDisk Flash Drives, and they work fine. Maybe you should search for reviews on SanDisk SSDs. I had no issue finding numerous reviews of various Samsung SSDs (along with their TVs and appliances).

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Apple used Samsung SSDs.

We have three Sanyo TVs in the house, and they're nearly identical (don't know how that happened). The TV in my man cave cuts off the far left and right of the image, but no big deal. I keep the thing on more for the background noise than anything else unless I'm watching YouTube.

Reaction score
We use our TVs for enjoyment! There are many good shows on, including some excellent TV series: Fargo (Seasons 1, 2, and 3), The Americans (Seasons 1 through 5 so far), Better Call Saul (Seasons 1 through 3 so far; also excellent prequel to the fabulous series Breaking Bad), House of Cards (Seasons 1 through 5 so far), etc., etc.

Reaction score
iMac upgrades can be challenging. Removing and replacing the display is the touchiest part. Using the proper tools cannot be stressed enough!

Yes, THAT, and making sure you are grounded (and have grounded the computer chassis) and that you are free of static electricity. In addition, have a layout plan for your parts so that you can easily recall what goes where once you have to re-assemble. It looks and sounds difficult, but PATIENCE and care are your best friends - oh YES - and the movie/video clips available on line either via You-Tube or better yet, Other-World Computing.

Ask a Question