iMac mid 2010 freeze

Reaction score
When I press the start button I hear a fast clicking sound. the screen freezes and one or twice I have had a flashing folder with a question mark in the centre of the screen? I have tried starting in recovery mode. Nothing seems to work. I am running osx El Capitan. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact iMac model do you have?

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

3. Are you making backups to an external device? That task is so, so critical. If you are doing that, what software do you use for that task?

4. How much space is on your internal drive?

5. How are you making posts here? Is it with another Mac, and if so, what exact model is it?

From what you describe, it seems that there are issues with the internal drive inside your iMac. But before any "repairs" can be made, you must have a backup, and also need to know the specific iMac model you have.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

All of those symptoms point to a failing hard drive unfortunately. I would recommend having a complete diagnostic with hard drive surface scan performed.

Hopefully you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?

C

Reaction score
I will get the information and post it here. May I ask, If my machine will not boot up how can I run any tests or access anything? Thanks.

Reaction score
For the surface scan Cory refers to (and more extensive tests), you would need 1) applicable commercial software, and 2) another Mac with the right ports (also need to know the ports on your Mac).

Reaction score
mid2010 .png Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 18.24.42.png hi, thanks for the interest in my problem. As I can't start the machine in question ! have been on apple support and took scene shots of the spec.. [1]I bought the machine about 3 years ago so I don't have the original disk. I have wiped the system a few times with no problems. I got it with 6 gb of memory. I have a late 2009 iMac [2] that i'm using to contact the forum. The ports are the same as on the mid 2010. I haven't done any disc cleanup because I can't boot the mid 2010 machine. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the surface scan Cory refers to (and more extensive tests), you would need 1) applicable commercial software, and 2) another Mac with the right ports (also need to know the ports on your Mac).

I have managed to use internet recovery to get to disk utility it is not showing any internal HD. Only the base system. I have a copy of El Capitan on a usb drive. It showed up in disk utility Put this in and when I select install, there is no drive to install it. So, I assume the HD is dead now. What I would like to know is can I buy an external hard drive and use that? I would love to keep this old machine going.

Reaction score
You should be able to use an external drive, but it will be slow. But you can replace the one inside your machine:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2308+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1766
Hi Honestone, I would do it myself but my eyesight is too bad. I only paid £350 for the iMac. I'm going to call in the Apple store and try and get a quote for the cost of fitting a new hard drive. If it doesn't cost more than I paid, then I will go ahead. I've had it a few years now, the CD/DVD drive has never worked but I never use it anyway. Just like these heavy Macs better. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, called Genius Bar and was told not to bother bringing it in, it's too old! So it looks like I will have to have a go myself. Can someone tell me a decent make of hard drive. Not a SSD just a normal 500gb one. I need to keep it simple. Don't want to be changing anything but the HD if I can.

Reaction score
Not sure about prices in the UK, but here in the US, I have seen the Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD for as low as $80 US, or about 62.4 British Pounds. I actually bought one from Best Buy about a month ago, and it performs very, very well. In fact, it has had numerous, excellent reviews. Here is one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-860-evo-500gb-SSD-/163379559623

Given the big "push" for larger and larger HDDs these days, it could be difficult finding a new 500 gig drive. Even new 1 TB drives are becoming more scarce. A good brand of HDDs is Seagate. I used to use them, and they always performed well.

Here's one Seagate 500 gig drive:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01LZM5R0O?tag=ps-de-shop-01-21

Reaction score
Honestone, Thank you for your input. Won't I have to replace something else if I install a ssd HDD? The drive in it at the moment is a 1TB in this pic:Mid 2010 HDD.pngI would want to replace it with the 500 gb one. Could you tell me if I do, is there anything else I would have to replace? I really need to keep it as simple as I can.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

All of those symptoms point to a failing hard drive unfortunately. I would recommend having a complete diagnostic with hard drive surface scan performed.

Hopefully you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?

C
Hi, thank you for your comment Cory, Could you tell me what screwdrivers to use when changing the HDD?

Reaction score
Honestone, Thank you for your input. Won't I have to replace something else if I install a ssd HDD? The drive in it at the moment is a 1TB in this pic:View attachment 2848I would want to replace it with the 500 gb one. Could you tell me if I do, is there anything else I would have to replace? I really need to keep it as simple as I can.

First, it is an SSD (Solid State Drive), instead of an HDD (Hard Disk Drive). They are two separate devices.

Secondly, that ifixit link I provided shows everything you need to do, and from it, there is nothing else you need to replace.

Reaction score
I'm so confused, I've never bought a hard drive before. This is the one that is in it.
HDD.png I just want to know wether I have to mach it exactly?

Reaction score
I'm so confused, I've never bought a hard drive before. This is the one that is in it.
View attachment 2850 I just want to know wether I have to mach it exactly?

That is an HDD, ie, a Hard Disk Drive. 1 TB of course means the capacity (ie, size), 7200-rpm means the rotational speed of the platter/platters (7200 revolutions per minute), and SATA means the connectivity.

For an SSD drive, size and connectivity "parameters" mean the same, but the "speed" is measured in terms of Read and Write speeds. SSDs don't have platters inside of them, The technology is different. But they are definitely faster than HDDs.

Update: OK, I found this:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-inch-aluminum-how-to-upgrade-hard-drive.html

I suspect your iMac has "SATA 2.0" connectivity. I believe you can use an SSD that has SATA 3.0 connectivity would be OK, but of course the "speed" between the SSD and that part of your Mac will be at the lower, SATA 2.0 levels. However, within that link is this:

"OWC also discovered that the "Late 2009" -- and subsequently introduced "Mid-2010" -- models use a "connector that seems to use the drive's internal sensors" rather than an external sensor like earlier 20-Inch and 24-Inch Aluminum iMac models.

Originally, this meant that the most straightforward way to upgrade the hard drive was to "replace the drive with another model from the same manufacturer that [OWC or another third-party has] confirmed works properly with this thermal sensor cable". OWC provides a list of compatible drives. Readers also shared reports that taping an external temperature sensor to a hard drive or SSD that does not have an internal sensor will work in these models, but this method is risky.

Thankfully, though, OWC subsequently developed a custom digital monitor that "talks Apple SMC" and "maintains proper temperature reporting and Apple Diagnostic compatibility" for these models and sells it as part of convenient SSD Upgrade DIY Kits. Although it still is fine to replace the hard drive with another model from the same manufacturer, this OWC solution provides many more options"

So, not sure how "simple" this would be. I also do not know your exact mid 2010 iMac model. According to all that above, that is important.

Maybe someone with more expertise can "chime in" on this discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am planning to open up the machine on Sunday to take a look at the inside. Maybe I can get more information from there. I have been looking at the links you gave me on how to do it and it doesn't seem too hard. Maybe there will be a serial number for the iMac model? I apologies for appearing to be a pain. 2 years ago, I would have done this no problem but now i'm sick and confused. Thank you for your patients with me.

Reaction score
I am planning to open up the machine on Sunday to take a look at the inside. Maybe I can get more information from there. I have been looking at the links you gave me on how to do it and it doesn't seem too hard. Maybe there will be a serial number for the iMac model? I apologies for appearing to be a pain. 2 years ago, I would have done this no problem but now i'm sick and confused. Thank you for your patients with me.
Anyone help? I've opened up my iMac and this is the original HDD
That is an HDD, ie, a Hard Disk Drive. 1 TB of course means the capacity (ie, size), 7200-rpm means the rotational speed of the platter/platters (7200 revolutions per minute), and SATA means the connectivity.

For an SSD drive, size and connectivity "parameters" mean the same, but the "speed" is measured in terms of Read and Write speeds. SSDs don't have platters inside of them, The technology is different. But they are definitely faster than HDDs.

Update: OK, I found this:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-inch-aluminum-how-to-upgrade-hard-drive.html

I suspect your iMac has "SATA 2.0" connectivity. I believe you can use an SSD that has SATA 3.0 connectivity would be OK, but of course the "speed" between the SSD and that part of your Mac will be at the lower, SATA 2.0 levels. However, within that link is this:

"OWC also discovered that the "Late 2009" -- and subsequently introduced "Mid-2010" -- models use a "connector that seems to use the drive's internal sensors" rather than an external sensor like earlier 20-Inch and 24-Inch Aluminum iMac models.

Originally, this meant that the most straightforward way to upgrade the hard drive was to "replace the drive with another model from the same manufacturer that [OWC or another third-party has] confirmed works properly with this thermal sensor cable". OWC provides a list of compatible drives. Readers also shared reports that taping an external temperature sensor to a hard drive or SSD that does not have an internal sensor will work in these models, but this method is risky.

Thankfully, though, OWC subsequently developed a custom digital monitor that "talks Apple SMC" and "maintains proper temperature reporting and Apple Diagnostic compatibility" for these models and sells it as part of convenient SSD Upgrade DIY Kits. Although it still is fine to replace the hard drive with another model from the same manufacturer, this OWC solution provides many more options"

So, not sure how "simple" this would be. I also do not know your exact mid 2010 iMac model. According to all that above, that is important.

Maybe someone with more expertise can "chime in" on this discussion.

Ask a Question