2011 mid imac 21.5 ram upgrade

Reaction score
So I have a 2011 imac mid 21.5
I currently am running 16gb of ddr3 1333mhz of ram.. I am a digital musician, and I would like to upgrade my system to effectively run my DAW and any other Vst''s while making music, as I have lots of them. I plan on upgrading my Hard drive to a 2tb Hybrid Firecuda Segate Hard drive. My question is.. has anyone ever tried or even heard of a 2011 imac running 64gb of ram? Is this possible without any overheating issues? Or should I just stick with planning on upgrading to 32gb of ram? I found a link for 64gb of ram that I do believe meets all of the qualifications of my system.. but I don't want to spend the money and it overheat my system (because it's the only one I have).

Here's the link:
https://www.adorama.com/owc13d3xm64...DAyFtwG4p8VQ49xb06MEefwxae-WS1mgaAtGjEALw_wcB

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You iMac will support 16 GB officially, and 32 GB unofficially. It will not support or startup with 64 GB RAM.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question